free hit
counters
Bahar Suspended - Page 16 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Fwiw I think lotus did quite a good job with the 918 engine. Lets not forget that in that era jaguar had liner issues with their v8 engine, bmw also had thesame issue with their v8, porsche had liner issues/oil gallery core plugs falling out/rear crank oil seafoods failing. That's just some off the top of my head & all the makers mentioned probably had much larger r&d budgets than lotus!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Most early V8s that had problems, had their engine's sorted many years ago and subsequent owners haven't had problems. However there was bad press at the time, not something Lotus wants again.

What I would like to see is a new Lotus designed engine that has been fully tested before production and is reliable from the onset. I hope this will happen under the new ownership.

Patrick, the technician at that dealer has the highest certification from Lotus themselves though and has over 26 years experience in working at Lotus (only). He was chief mechanic at a racing team which raced Esprits (first 4 cyl then V8). The problems were in many cases catastrophic. And I must correct myself 1 engine has not been opened, but that Esprit has only 4K kms at the moment...

I don't know if Mike Sekinger is still around, I feel confident Mike will see the numbers I mentioned as exaggerated, but he might accept Kimbers' figures. Let's hope he pops in.

Gert, thank you for putting a bit more perspective on your info. I wasn't trying to be argumentative as much as I was trying to point out that one cannot draw conclusions from small sample sizes. The numbers Bibs have quoted are likely, at least by sample size, the most accurate, although I suppose they could be tainted by a company trying to downplay problems. Nevetheless, there still needs to be more context to the number of 14 cars with 14 rebuilds. By those numbers one could conclude (though I am not suggesting anyone is!) that the V8 had a 100% failure rate... at least in Belgium.

By the by, and (only slightly) more in keeping with the acutal topic of this post: does Dany have any info on the reliability of the V8? Mark? What's news from the bunker?

If some of them have been fixed more than once then that's a failure rate of more than 100%, not sure anyone would believe that.

And please make certain that Dany understands that Hylomar 3400 is not to be apllied to his hair while it is still wet.

Edited by 73JPS

OOOpppps thought i'd gone to the wrong thread had to check the headline a couple of times!!1

Thought this was about DB being suspended or sacked not V8 engines either Lotus ones or someone elses sorry to be a tw*t but cant we start another thread??

You need to use the 'start new topic' button but thread drift is nigh on impossible to stop, conversations are inherently dynamic!

Bunker t-shirt in the offing I think

I'M READY!!!

HeathsGreenCheese.jpg

And yes, that's your shirt, Bibster.

Right, I forgot I got you one in green. Well, that was going to be yours before the green one came your way.

Anyway, back on the topic...

Do we know through anonymous back channels if any of the rest of Dany's team have been shown the door or quit?

Is Danny still talking to the team he brought in; officially or unofficially

Large rented property prices in Leeds area on the up?

Gert, thank you for putting a bit more perspective on your info. I wasn't trying to be argumentative as much as I was trying to point out that one cannot draw conclusions from small sample sizes. The numbers Bibs have quoted are likely, at least by sample size, the most accurate, although I suppose they could be tainted by a company trying to downplay problems. Nevetheless, there still needs to be more context to the number of 14 cars with 14 rebuilds. By those numbers one could conclude (though I am not suggesting anyone is!) that the V8 had a 100% failure rate... at least in Belgium.

By the by, and (only slightly) more in keeping with the acutal topic of this post: does Dany have any info on the reliability of the V8? Mark? What's news from the bunker?

Patrick, there are more than 1 dealer in Belgium ;). The dealer who might have sold the most V8s in Belgium, does no longer exist though. What I tried to say is that I honestly believe the numbers Kimbers came up with, and I find it rather hard to believe the other numbers mentioned in this thread.

But once we had a conversation one the V8 engine guru's and Lotus had to swallow a lot of compromises for the V8 in order to mate it to the old Renault gearbox. I still think the engine in essence was very good, but still lacked development.

Reliability of the new V8 engine will be key! Let's hope they do better this time.

Edited by Exploded

please excuse the errors in my previous post (posted on mobile phone) :huh:

Causing some more dynamic thread drift :rambo: . is the engine in the new esprit mean't to be a stressed part of the chassis? if its not then could it be viable to re-use the 918 engine, seeing as the design isn't that old surely lotus could implement more modern fuel/ignition systems & keep the engine compliant with future regulations???

They might as well cut a hole in the floor, Flintstone style. A 17 year old engine cuts no mustard nowadays even if you update some of it and the market would not have such an engine in a £130k car.

I'M READY!!!

HeathsGreenCheese.jpg

And yes, that's your shirt, Bibster.

NICE WHEELS MATT !!

Well all said and done.......DB has been busy with a secret project (on the side) after all.

It is about to be launched ...investors are being sought .Here is a sneak preview from one of our top carhunters;post-5047-0-03613800-1339646254.jpg

I worried for Marks safety (suddabym) :shock:

It's been very quiet from the bunker for nearly 2 days now.

Dany ran out of hair gel and went on a murder spree? I love thread drift, its all like drifty in a thread way!