free hit
counters
Bahar Suspended - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

One of the issues that lead me to say that it is not misuse of funds is that Lotus paid for it and that must have gone through several people ..possibly even part of his deal.

It would probably have to do with Dany not happy with the new guys and vice versa.

Just put Gino in charge and everything will work out fine. :whistle:

You're kidding right! You're seriously kidding right!!

What worries me most is the lack of direction now. Dany made some rather odd decisions at times but I totally trusted him when it comes to upping the game at Lotus and building proper quality cars. What he did with the MY12 was desperately needed, probably too late but it showed what could be done with the right application. Now there's no one at the helm aside from the money guys... very worrying.

What next???

Well for what it's worth, the CTO Wolf Zimmerman could probably take the helm so could Andreas Prillmann, current CCO, Frank Tuch, CQO or David Hewitt, Director of Operation! Really there's no shortage Talent and managerial skill at Lotus.... I think it just takes somebody to be selfless enough to do the job!

Edited by NedaSay

That's encouraging... but do DRB Hicom want another CEO with ideas or a just a place holder while they offload the company? The former would take a brave man, the latter is a thankless task.

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

On a scale of 1-10, I meant that as an 11.

Hehe. I knew you were joking because if you weren't you were the most insane person in the world....ever!

And that includes Jack Hugapoogawillawollabangbang who changed his name because the moon fairies told him to in space when he was taking his goldfish for a walk!

I have video of Gino taking DB's coat, but other than that I'm not sure what his exact function is (was?).

This news came as a real shock.... despite (or because of ?) me being a newbie to the politics of it all. From an employment law perspective suspension at such a senior level is a serious step. The unproven (M`lud) allegations bring to mind Conrad Black`s conduct rather than an inevitable recall of DeLorean/Mr. Chapman`s dubious deal. ie a more simple hands in the till situation.

The underlying principles may be the same....questions associated with commercial dynamism and grandstanding-a close cousin to egotism tempting delusions of invulnerability and an ignoral of the relatively esoteric but still powerful tenets of commercial law and procedure .

Was this a species of rant ? I myself do not know. Good luck Lotus.

I doubt the real story is being told. What's that saying, "never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

I read somewhere that DB is entitled to 5% of the price if the company's sold. Proton was sold for GBP 275m. What was the value of Lotus in that sale? What sort of claim does he have to 5% of that? What's the implication of his suspension (and ultimate dismissal) in negating that?

Messy.

Well for what it's worth, the CTO Wolf Zimmerman could probably take the helm so could Andreas Prillmann, current CCO, Frank Tuch, CQO or David Hewitt, Director of Operation! Really there's no shortage Talent and managerial skill at Lotus.... I think it just takes somebody to be selfless enough to do the job!

Is Karl-Heinz Kalbfell still there? Previously a senior manager at BMW and also headed up Alfa Romeo and Maserati for a while. When he arrived at Lotus he talked up improving and developing the current range to maintain sales which I think may have directly led to the 2012 MY Evora and Exige s etc.

I suspect he might be able to bring more focus to a slimmer product plan without unnecessary disruption. They really need to keep the top engineers such as Zimmerman as the cars are getting better and better. The Exjge S reviews have been really great to read.

I suppose we should be happy that DB surrounded himself in people with credentials.

I wonder if the owner of the 'modest' house he was renting is aware that it got renovated?

Well call me niaive but I remain hopeful that Group Lotus will survive the politics and keep building great cars. They have a backorder of 1200 cars, rave reviews for the new Exige S V6 and being completely selfish for a moment, I want my Evora GTE here in Oz, so please keep trading Lotus so I can get one!

It's sad the usual suspects here are relishing this news so much.

Yes setting myself up for the firing squad i know

IMHO i dont think DB did that much wrong apart from swiss whats his name yes i'm too old to be into that kind of noise!

DB has brought in some very talented people, which Lotus needed to move up market to take on the Italian/German cars head to head, Lotus were never going to survive just doing Elise/Exige and a basic Evora range; Lotus need a direction; 5 car/5 year plan or at least a forward plan.

DB has put Lotus cars back on the world scene via an agressive much publicised and expensive(?) motorsport programme. In fact it has been way too long to wait (30+ years) to have a Lotus(?) F1 car that should have won the last GP and should win this afternoon

Before I get shot; I have and always will hold MJK in the highest regards and during his stints at Lotus Mike did a brilliant job, however time does not stand still for anyone, and I hope that the parent company will promote from within and soon (if DB does go) to give a similar direction that does not mean the last two years are wasted

The Exige V6 looks a winner and we are both looking forward to our demo drives, I am looking forward to the GTE road car and a demo drive and really looking forward to seeing the new Esprit; and hopefully we will not have to wait a further 5 years to see the rebirth......

and now waiting for the firing squad with my blind fold on

No firing squad necessary, everyone is entitiled to their view and Bahar does seem a marmite boss in that you either love or hate him.

Only encouragement at the moment is that there seems to be some great people there, and I hope they remain there. The interview with Wolf Zimmerman in this months TG was enjoayble and I would be more concerned if he had gone TBH.

My guess would be we'll know fairly shortly whether this is an overall cull of staff taken on for future projects and/or whether those people feel the need to look elsewhere for a more secure position. I desperately hope that's not the case but with Bahar on suspension, ie not outrightly dismissed, Lotus could be in limbo for a while.

A backorder of 1200 cars !

Is this for real .....and is it the current range ?

400 Exige S

100 GTEs for China

100 ish (others) - guestimate

That makes 600 - not sure about the other 600

I'd imagine mainly Evora's for the USA and Elise S, that's an easy 600 cars.

From the EVO interview with Bahar in April -

Are all Lotus models going back into production at the same time?

First will be the Elise, then the Evoras and finally the Exige S. We have 1162 orders to fill [189 Elise, 156 Elise S, 350 Exige S, 182 Evora and 250 Evora GTE models] - which is incredible.

Allowing for that being a over a month ago, before the rave reviews of the Exige S for example, I'd say 1200 sounds reasonable. Production is up to about 44 cars/week at the moment.

Edited by hedgerley

Yes setting myself up for the firing squad i know

IMHO i dont think DB did that much wrong apart from swiss whats his name yes i'm too old to be into that kind of noise!

DB has brought in some very talented people, which Lotus needed to move up market to take on the Italian/German cars head to head, Lotus were never going to survive just doing Elise/Exige and a basic Evora range; Lotus need a direction; 5 car/5 year plan or at least a forward plan.

DB has put Lotus cars back on the world scene via an agressive much publicised and expensive(?) motorsport programme. In fact it has been way too long to wait (30+ years) to have a Lotus(?) F1 car that should have won the last GP and should win this afternoon

Before I get shot; I have and always will hold MJK in the highest regards and during his stints at Lotus Mike did a brilliant job, however time does not stand still for anyone, and I hope that the parent company will promote from within and soon (if DB does go) to give a similar direction that does not mean the last two years are wasted

The Exige V6 looks a winner and we are both looking forward to our demo drives, I am looking forward to the GTE road car and a demo drive and really looking forward to seeing the new Esprit; and hopefully we will not have to wait a further 5 years to see the rebirth......

and now waiting for the firing squad with my blind fold on

Nicely put Darryl

I believe the diligence period has exposed flaws in recovering the 200 million debt in an unyielding market. Realistically , even with 1200 orders to complete and a great range of cars ahead, how long will it take to break even? Perhaps the plan wasn't long term enough given where we are with the sports car market and rubbing salt into the wounds by supporting all manor of racing wouldn't help the new owners pen pushers.

Aside from the alleged misappropriation of Lotus cash, this funding could have been within the contractual agreement between DB and Lotus. Taking the laptop away is a sure sign (imo) that the relationship is terminal (the information on the laptop would have good use for a MBO plea or otherwise. Crap situation especially as there was fantastic growing awareness of the brand purely with F1 !!

Edited by Loteuk