free hit
counters
Lotus Indycar News Thread - Page 7 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus Indycar News Thread

Not to forget 13th out of 19th and they all have the same spec cars!

Well after loosing all other cars to the competition because of lack of reliability and performance the Lotus HVM association has a pool of 10 engines to play with they may as well change the engine after or before every race!

Edited by NedaSay

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^ and it appears to be part of the plan! In order to catch up in development Lotus, HVM and Judd will use every opportunity to get upgrades implemented and will push really hard to make for lost ground... Hope it works for them!

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-three-drivers-to-serve-10-spot-penalties-at-texas/

De Silvestro's team confirmed to SPEED.com it has adopted a more aggressive--and intentional--approach to the 10-spot penalties.

As the lone Lotus-powered team left int he series, HVM and engine builder Judd have chosen to take the unapproved engine change penalties whenever the marque has a new development or upgrade to offer.

It's believed Lotus has made changes to the valves on its 2.2-liter, twin-turbo V6 engine--an item permitted in the rules--and has also unveiled a second-generation exhaust system.

With the down-on-power Lotus regularly leaving de Silvestro towards the bottom of the grid, the 10-spot penalties are of little consequence.

And with just one engine in the field, Lotus' choice to accelerate its development program by rotating in upgrades whenever they're available is the smartest choice available.

Neither did Rubens. What's your point?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Nice coverup story, better to have a "failure" than to be taken out of the race after 5 or 10 laps because you are to slow!

Pull the plug guys and fire the responsible managers, they earn big money and ain't worth it!

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

Here's the starting line up for the Texas 500 race.

Remember that teams are not using the "Indy only authorized boost" so the pack is a little slower and a lot closer together.

Simona was able to reach 204 mph which is some mph slower than Kat Legge who is the slowest Honda engine (Both Newgarden and Hildebrand ran into some issues of their own). The "improvement" on the Lotus engine is there: + 2mph if we compare raw data with Indy 500 (with the regular boost).

Rank, Driver, AVG, Diff.

1 Alex Tagliani 215.691 --.----

2 Dario Franchitti 215.646 0.0102

3 Graham Rahal 215.554 0.0308

4 Scott Dixon 215.331 0.0812

5 Will Power 215.116 0.1297

6 James Hinchcliffe 214.920 0.1743

7 Tony Kanaan 214.701 0.2239

8 Mike Conway 214.458 0.2792

9 Marco Andretti 214.424 0.2869

10 Takuma Sato 214.196 0.3390

11 Simon Pagenaud 214.082 0.3650

12 Ryan Briscoe 214.060 0.3701

13 Oriol Servia 213.957 0.3937

14 Rubens Barrichello 213.949 0.3955

15 Ryan Hunter-Reay 213.927 0.4004

16 EJ Viso 213.444 0.5112

17 Helio Castroneves 213.402 0.5209

18 Charlie Kimball 212.833 0.6522

19 Justin Wilson 212.136 0.8139

20 Ed Carpenter 211.643 0.9289

21 James Jakes 211.245 1.0222

22 Katherine Legge 210.543 1.1875

23 Simona de Silvestro 204.066 2.7669

24 JR Hildebrand 202.596 3.1394

25 Josef Newgarden Did Not Qualify

I don't know if the story is a cover up or not. However it's likely that they are stressing the engines to the limit and the result being possibly total engine failure. Would they have been parked? Only Trevor would probably able to tell something about that. But with a average of 8 mph difference between Simona and the midfield it would have been a troublesome race!

Regardless, they are still way off mark but they are working on it. Will they catch up... Probably yes... But, let's be realistic it's june already and the main event has come and gone. So probably not before next year... If the new owners are ok to greenlight adequate funding to close the gap with Honda and Chevrolet!

I'd also say they have an easy out... Most team owners are rejecting the aero kit for 2013 right now! If I was one of the higher ups, I would use that as my out card. If I was one of the higher ups and I wanted to leave the sport that is! Then again I'm not one of the higher ups!

Nice coverup story, better to have a "failure" than to be taken out of the race after 5 or 10 laps because you are to slow!

Pull the plug guys and fire the responsible managers, they earn big money and ain't worth it!

There was no cover-up, Gert. She had no fuel pressure due to the failure of a part in the fuel tank. Very unfortunate. Regarding Simona's qualifying, they are suffering by having only 1 car and a relatively inexperienced driver. Remember, Franchitti also had a poor qualifying. When you have only 1 car and it happens to have a poor qualifying run, is it the engine, the set-up or did the driver have a "moment?" You've nothing to compare it with so it can be difficult from the outside to tell.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Trev. Surely an average of 8mph slower is recoverable, non? I mean, you only have to find 4% more speed. I would assume you guys can, especially as its all so new and have an inexperienced driver.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Kimbers, Trevor works for the championship, not the team.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

:hrhr: Even I knew that! :rofl:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Trevor would you happen to have insider knowledge on whether Indycar will authorize or not aero body kit in 2013? I read recently that team owners were against it!

^^ so they have had to call on external help! Interesting! Part of me is wondering who is this outside help! I can't shake the feeling that one of the company they called is Cosworth! Well all that matters is that in the next few races we see a significant improvement. If not they can call this program a day and move on! All engine suppliers are taking a beating with the engine spec in IRL even Chevy and Honda admitted that they will turn any profit from selling these engines any time soon! But Lotus, with just one car now, is going sky high in terms of development cost per leased engine!

• 3 weeks later...

It's time to call an end of this experiment!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Its been a joke forever. I fail to see what credibility it has had in the last 6 months.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

When considering Bahar's legacy as either negative or positive, it's interesting to reflect that the Indycar Engine program was the first of Bahar's announcements that had a definitive time frame, which is why it attracted my interest.

The outcome to date, is a measure of the man's ability, no I have nothing positive to say about his tenure at Lotus, I am just grateful that there is a "Post Bahar" Lotus, long may it continue.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Praise the lord, the embarrassment will soon be over.

That leaves the only standing green bottle "Retail Lifestyle". If DRB are paying the rent on the Regent Street shop I give that until 2014.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• 2 months later...

Smart move. No offence to Indycar but it wasn't really showing Lotus as anything but incompetent.

Evora NA