free hit
counters
Adjustable Dampers: Gaz vs. Spax vs. Protech - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
karmavore

Adjustable Dampers: Gaz vs. Spax vs. Protech

I'm thinking of replacing my Gaz coilovers (the fronts are worn) and I'm considering Protech or Spax instead.

The Protechs are slightly more than Gaz, and the Spax are double that.

Other than price, does anyone have first hand knowledge of the differences between these brands?

Thanks fellas,

Luke.

(yeah, I know about the Bilsteins from Lotus and I'm not interested)

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Luke, I replaced all four corners with AVO's a couple of years ago, but I am not happy with them at all. With in the first year one developed a leak, so I sent it back for a rebuilt from the manufacture at no cost, because it was with in one year warranty. My biggest dislike about them is that they squeak if you increase the dampness about half of the clicks that it can go. It is driving me mad!!, because I like the setting I have on them for driving, but every time I go over a little bump it squeaks loudly!! When I decrease the dampness the squeak goes away!

I'm thinking of replacing them with Spax's. I have heard good things about them, so may give them a try or go insane with the squeaking!!.

• Like 1

I run Protech, as a product I can't fault them, as for overseas support, ie Australia, I wouldn't buy another Protech product.

The product is good but I don't support companies that don't support their customers.

My next choice was going to be AVO's until I read Felix's post.

Now if I were stinking rich, Koni.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

What's it gong on? If its an early G car then not the Protech's as the adjustment knob catches on the spring platform and ruins it. Plus a real pain to adjust. Later G cars and Stevens are fine with the later chassis. This is the fronts by the way.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

My Gaz were great when I first got them, but they're 7 years old and half of that time was spent in storage which probably wasn't great; so I can't fault them too much.

My concern with the Spax is the cost and the 8" springs required to lower the front of the car, which makes me think they weren't really designed with the Esprit in mind.

I've heard very little about the Protech, except I did some reading yesterday that suggested they were lots lighter than the Gaz. I also have an email in to Steve @ SJ. I'm eager to read his opinion.

What's it gong on? If its an early G car then not the Protech's as the adjustment knob catches on the spring platform and ruins it. Plus a real pain to adjust. Later G cars and Stevens are fine with the later chassis. This is the fronts by the way.

Trevor.

Trevor,

I have an early G car (s2.21980) and use the protech in front.

No problem whatsoever , and its real easy to adjust .

I am afread you mounted them in the upper holes ?

HPIM4589.jpg

Edited by gvy

I've heard good things about Protechs in G-Turbos. No direct experience, but I've spoken with a happy customer.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Andy: shouldn't they be back at the facoty and not in your shed?

Travis: Honestly, they're so cheap (about $105/ea.) that I'm not sure it makes sense.

I couldn't see much point in spending nearly as much having them rebuilt (possibly more if I include delivery & return) as they would have been new when I had the option to go for the Lotus dampers by that point, which is what I moved to. I only keep them so that if I need to remove the dampers for some reason I have something I can pop in the place to rest the car back on the ground if necessary.

Why would they charge you to rebuild them if they failed after 6 months? Obviously there must have been a manufacturing defect, no?

But could I prove that? Since all four went approximately the same I doubt it was a one-off and suspect more they are just not up to the job, so rebuilt ones would only last as long again.

You could prove that you bought them six months before they failed. I really doubt that's normal.

Anyway, I'm glad your happy with the LDP shocks. I know I would be too if the the ride height wasn't so high.

Travis: Honestly, they're so cheap (about $105/ea.) that I'm not sure it makes sense.

I remember you got a really good deal at the time... could you get them for that same price now? If so I know somebody who would want something like that in CO.

BTW, your retrophit website is dead, can no longer see photos of your mods.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Yep. I just got another quote. The price I gave you was without shipping though, but It can't be that much more.

Yeah, the site is down but if you want any old pics I can email them to you.

The Lotus developed shocks can be set to lower than desired.

Just get a lower grove machined into the damper body so the spring pan sits lower.

Its what I was planning on doing as I could never get used to an Esprit that rides so high, it just doesn't look right to me even if it is technically correct

Chunky Lover

My JRZ's can go loooooooow... too low for the wheels to turn, I couldn't even measure under the chassis when I first adjusted the spring perches to what I thought was a good starting point...

Thanks for the emails Lucas. I had actually thought you had their DA's with remote reservoirs for some reason.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

My concern with the Spax is the cost and the 8" springs required to lower the front of the car, which makes me think they weren't really designed with the Esprit in mind.

I keep hearing people complain about the Spax shocks riding too high in the front. What is this all about, needing new springs to work with the Spax shocks? Whats everyones experience with Spax shocks, cause I am having this dilemma right now? Spax or Gaz. I had Spax shocks on the front before and they seemed alright, if not a little stiff.

Luke, I replaced all four corners with AVO's a couple of years ago, but I am not happy with them at all. With in the first year one developed a leak, so I sent it back for a rebuilt from the manufacture at no cost, because it was with in one year warranty. My biggest dislike about them is that they squeak if you increase the dampness about half of the clicks that it can go. It is driving me mad!!, because I like the setting I have on them for driving, but every time I go over a little bump it squeaks loudly!! When I decrease the dampness the squeak goes away!

I'm thinking of replacing them with Spax's. I have heard good things about them, so may give them a try or go insane with the squeaking!!.

AVOs the worst shock absorber on the market by far. Absolute rubbish. Bought a set from PNM. Biggest waste of money EVER.

• Like 1

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I have had no issues or squeaks etc with my AVO's. They were adjusted on

initial set up to spring rating and ride hight. checked every 12 months along

with a complete geo check...(should be standard maintenance for all) .

When they reach five years or 25k miles they will be renewed or rebuilt regardless.

This is not saying they are best.... but that they do work well when set up correct.

I chose them initially on price and recommendation.. No complaints at 3 year mark.

A small note on ride heights.... Each model had a specific ride height for a 

reason....DESIGN... when your height goes out of spec or is set that way, all

the geo goes with it..... Even if you reset your angles to spec at your new designated

height the deflected angles under suspension load will not be as designed and

effect the handling characteristics... This is due to the pick up points on the chassis..

So when making changes be aware of the negative knock on effect's...

Edited by CHANGES

I had a set of Spax which lunched their bushes..Spax supplied new bushes FOC which was a nice gesture. Currently running Protecs and have had no problems with them so far....then again, I'm pretty gentle as far as cornering goes!! I like my G forces running up and down the spine, not smearing my guts over the inside of the body cavity....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein