free hit
counters
Oil Pressure Pipe - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Oil Pressure Pipe

peteyg

Well, just finished the 2000 mile trip to the French Alps and back with virtually no problems apart from being very hot and sweaty and an annoying exhaust leak until I noticed...

A lot of oil was leaking from the joint between the nipple and the pipe going to the oil pressure gauge so muggins decided it would be a good idea to cut the pipe off and refit it without knowing that the thing comes fitted from the factory and it's impossible to do it at home, let alone on holiday on top of a mountain :) !!!! Solution was to find a friendly garage to weld up the nipple which did the trick, after I'd lost about 2.5 litres of oil and sprayed it all over the engine on the way there...

So, new pipe ordered and just need to fit it. Any tips? I haven't investigated yet but where does the pipe run? Through the body/chassis? I'm hoping it'll be one of the easier jobs..

cheers,

Pete

PS pics to follow in motoring section B)

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete,

I'm pretty sure it follows the throttle cable through the firewall and along the backbone under the arm-rest (on top of the fibreglass).

So I would pull off the arm-rest pad and cut the old pipe in two. Tape one end of the pipe to the end going backwards to the engine and then pull the old pipe through into the engine bay. Be careful it stays stuck together. Probably a good idea to cap the new pipe with something so it doesn't fill up with crud while doing this.

Then taps the other end to the pipe going forwards and do the same with that. Then you have to remove the dials so you can connect it to the gauge although you may be able to do this while adopting the Lotus position and reach up to the back of the gauge from under the dash.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 1 year later...

My problem is along similar lines to this thread.

I have taken my instrument cluster apart to replace parts (including the cracked instrument surround) and now I need to put the oil pressure gauge into the new surrounds (I left the oil line connected and simply pulled the gauge out of the old cracked plastic surround). Here's where I need some advice before disconnecting the oil line.

What is the correct procedure for removing and refitting the oil pressure line? Will the line require bleeding any air out of it before reconnecting? Is there going to be oil coming out of it (and therefore messy)? Any little trick to get it off then back on?

Any advice is appreciated, as I would hate to go through the hassle of ordering replacement parts from the UK. Thanks

Edited by Denzeldude

When I had an S2 (now Matt K's) I had the same problem with oil coming from the instriment pod. I took out the standard meter and fitted an electronic one (the standard part is a standard size fortunaltey) instead, fitting a sender in the engine bay with just a short hose to the pressure take off port on the side of the engine.

No more leaks, but the guage always read low due to being cap qaulity. Worth spending more money and getting decent guage.

The standard plastic pipe did run along side the throttle cable under the armrest.

Good luck

Malc

Like Malc says, it follows the throttle cable.

My leak was at the engine end not the gauge but there should be a fibre washer where the oil line screws into the gauge. check this isn't missing! I lost mine during the rebuild but cut an new one out of a larger washer and have never had any leaks.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Thanks for the responses, but not sure my situation has been understood.

I don't have a leak (not yet anyway), and am not trying to replace the whole oil pipe from the engine to the gauge. I'm just wanting to find out if there are any tricks or traps when disconnecting the oil pipe from the back of the gauge, before reconnecting it (same pipe to same gauge) after replacing the cracked plastic that surrounded all of the gauges.