free hit
counters
Freelander - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I am considering buying a Landrover Freelander...

Not as a Lotus replacement you understand but as a part utility vehicle and part promo vehicle for the company so no serious off roading etc. Has anyone got any experience of these things? are there things I should look for? I am told I need the TD4 as its a BMW engine but thats about it... over to you my motoring expert friends

Twitter @radioRedwards

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We bought one a couple of years ago, it's been a great car all round and invaluable in the winter. We've had no real issues either aside from a couple of electrical niggles, all fixed without fuss and very quickly. Service from the main dealer has been amazing, in fact only yesterday they came to the house ( 20 miles each way ) picked up the car at 9am, did the annual service and had it back by 4pm.

Ours is an '09 model, TD4 with 'e' option which saves a bit of diesel and some road tax. Make sure whatever you're looking at has the 'terrain' control, some of the base models don't and the dealers aren't always keen to point that out as they're tough to sell without it! It's easy to tell though, it's the big silver knob with Snow, Gravel, etc settings situated by the gear lever and it's REALLY useful! We love our FreeLoader.... but the Lotus stays!!!!

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I have 3!!!!!!! all TD4 all have done a trip to southern Italy and back!! mine are all 2000-2001!!!

Reliability wise, have had a clutch on each and gearboxes are a bit noisy but they've all done 90-100K so to be expected really. I'm looking to shift them all on now though as I no longer have the need for them unfortunately!!

I have a Freelander ES. Great utility vehicle. On my way to Le mans in it as I speak.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Lol. What would be weird is towing the caravan that's behind it with the other two Si :D

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Cheeky question....

Is anyone near Northolt (NW London) that could have a quick look at a car for me? I will of course cover your costs, the dealer won't hold it for me and I can't get up till Saturday !!! Nothing easy

Twitter @radioRedwards

Might be worth pinging Sparky a PM, he knows his way around a mota and is fairly local.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I was there last night looking at the Polish War Memorial and visited a pub called The Orchard where the Polish pilots used to hang out during the war.. It's now a Harvester/Premier Inn.. but there is a large model Spitfire on a plinth in the garden

If they are open late I could pop along tonight on my way home but I couldn't be there until c7.30pm'ish

I pass Northolt on the way home from work so could pop in and take a peek if it helps :)

Barrie should have let me know as I live very local to the Orchard and could have popped over for a drink

BTW Rick I was working with someone recently who knows you ;)

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

I pass Northolt on the way home from work so could pop in and take a peek if it helps :)

Barrie should have let me know as I live very local to the Orchard and could have popped over for a drink

BTW Rick I was working with someone recently who knows you ;)

really!! That woudl be fab....will drop you a PM with the details.

Someone who knows me.....hmm sounds interesting and worrying!

BTW Thanks for your offer Barrie but they close at 6.30

Edited by Rick Edwards

Twitter @radioRedwards