free hit
counters
Advice for New Evora S Owner - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Moxie

Advice for New Evora S Owner

I'm finally picking up my Evora S on Friday. Anyone have any bits of sagely advice or non-obvious tips based on living with your Evoras for a bit? Other than simply driving and enjoying, of course. I mean advice regarding any idiosyncrasies. Thanks.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Forget the good polish bit. That's what the annual service is for isn't it? :thumbsup: (Thanks Craig)

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

1) You will need to learn to adjust the mirrors and open the windows by reaching across yourself with your right arm as it can't physically be done with your left unless you are Houdini

2) It is theoretically possible to drive everywhere in 2nd gear - this avoids having to do the tricky 2nd-to-3rd and 3rd-to-2nd changes [edit: you have an MY12 car so this may not apply] and out of town means you are generally within the official speed limits unless the red shift lights are showing

3) Don't expect to be able to get the radio to pick up any stations

4) Your notion of speed, space & time will need to be recalibrated

5) You should pre-warn your family, friends and work colleagues that you are not about to undergo cosmetic surgery and the permanent grin they will see from Friday onwards is a natural phenomenon

Enjoy!

2) It is theoretically possible to drive everywhere in 2nd gear - this avoids having to do the tricky 2nd-to-3rd and 3rd-to-2nd changes [edit: you have an MY12 car so this may not apply] and out of town means you are generally within the official speed limits unless the red shift lights are showing

And for older ones, get the shift cables replaced, that improved the shift experience massively!

Don't put coins in the door handle space, you will never see them again!

Don't put coins in the door handle space, you will never see them again!

Or a house door key......... Thank god for magnets on the end of extending ariel like tools is what I say!!

Oh yes, and if anybody can work out what the small dooket/cubby hole on the dash to right of steering wheel on a Rt. hand drive car is for then please do tell!

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Oh yes, and if anybody can work out what the small dooket/cubby hole on the dash to right of steering wheel on a Rt. hand drive car is for then please do tell!

Mine holds my security gate key fob nicely (being as I can't get the 'homelink control panel' in the roof to work!!) :)

I've had the Homelink work in that car just fine! The sensor is about six inches rearwards of the button panel if that helps :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

And for older ones, get the shift cables replaced, that improved the shift experience massively!

Car is brand new. So new, in fact, that I showed up at the dealer today to take away the Design Diamond-Cut Wheels for storage--which I only intend to use for track days--while they add Stealth Grey Classics and finish prepping the car for pickup tomorrow.

post-6978-0-38435000-1339124008.jpg

1) You will need to learn to adjust the mirrors and open the windows by reaching across yourself with your right arm as it can't physically be done with your left unless you are Houdini

Maybe the aftermarket folding mirror upgrade switch will fix that. Is it just too twitchy right now to find the mirror position you want?

2) It is theoretically possible to drive everywhere in 2nd gear

I learned that in my first test drive when I would it up to 85mph in 2nd, but good point!

Pioneer system? There's more info on that unit and satellite radio than in the users manual I took home tonight to read in advance of taking the car tomorrow.

4) Your notion of speed, space & time will need to be recalibrated

Good. I could use that after the last few years I've had.

5) You should pre-warn your family, friends and work colleagues that you are not about to undergo cosmetic surgery and the permanent grin they will see from Friday onwards is a natural phenomenon

The joke's on them because only one of them is allowed in the car--my son, Chet, who'll be 5 later this month, and can tell by listening alone if an Esprit S1 has Strombergs or Dell'Ortos.

I've had the Homelink work in that car just fine! The sensor is about six inches rearwards of the button panel if that helps :)

Good to know I can gain access to yours, when are you next on holiday ;)

:lol:

Give it a sweep while you're in there :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Maybe the aftermarket folding mirror upgrade switch will fix that. Is it just too twitchy right now to find the mirror position you want?

-> I think they may have changed the door grab handle for MY12? On mine I can't reach the mirror switch or window buttons with the hand nearer the door, so have to use the hand further away and reach over

Pioneer system? There's more info on that unit and satellite radio than in the users manual I took home tonight to read in advance of taking the car tomorrow.

-> Alpine system - think it's down to the aerial and predominantly aluminium and plastic construction; I need to re-read one of the threads on here about ground planes and extra aerials

The joke's on them because only one of them is allowed in the car--my son, Chet, who'll be 5 later this month, and can tell by listening alone if an Esprit S1 has Strombergs or Dell'Ortos.

-> He's clearly benefited from a proper education ;) My daughters can distinguish between most different Lotus models but I obviously haven't been teaching them enough about mechanicals!

Car is brand new. So new, in fact, that I showed up at the dealer today to take away the Design Diamond-Cut Wheels for storage--which I only intend to use for track days--while they add Stealth Grey Classics and finish prepping the car for pickup tomorrow.

Hm, I like the Diamond Cut a lot and drive it day in and out, Corsa tires are also good on the road (although damn expensive...). Tires on the Classic rims are too narrow for my liking, I have them in winter with standard sizes and that's OKish. However, whenever you go on track, with whatever rim, make sure you take the centre caps out! Or the fall off, been there, done that...

Edited by Sven76

Nice Matt. :thumbsup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Finally picked it up yesterday...

post-6978-0-20619100-1339256189.jpg

(Clicky for bigger picky)

...but was in full business dress, including the worst possible shoes, since I had to go straight to a meeting after that. Thus...

Lesson 1: Driving an Evora with Steed-like slip-on boots is a very big pain in the ass, not to be repeated.

Lesson 2: Reading the plethora of booklets regarding the Pioneer system is a bigger pain in the ass than #1.

Lesson 3: Guys in Porsches (4) will make it a point to catch up and check you out. Guys in Ferraris (2) will make it a point to drive by you while doing everything they can to pretend they don't notice you.

Lesson 4: No problem reaching the mirror switch.

Lesson 5: Getting a raspy rattling sound when at low RPMs in 1st and 2nd. Pretty sure it's the engine cover. Will deal with that at the 1,000 mile service.

Lesson 6: I don't care what Steve Sutcliffe says--the new gearchange is fantastic.

Lesson 7: I didn't see this coming at all, but I found Dany Bahar hiding in the boot. WTF?! He was incoherent, but said something about being the only way he could get out of the UK before the Malaysian ninjas could get to him. Needless to say, I immediately slammed the trunk shut and drove straight to the Malaysian Consulate, where I claimed the bounty. I also turned off the stereo because while Dany was in the trunk he kept singing a lovely a capella version of Warren Zevon's "Lawyers, Guns & Money"...

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5puAN1PGQw

Heading north today for the weekend to put some miles on for the 1,000 mile run-in and see Foglesan, Whisky Bob, and other TLF rogues and scoundrels.

Fantastic to see the new ride. I'd ask for a pic of the grin on your face but don't really want to see it.

I thought the Cognac interior with Burnt Orange might be a bit much but it looks good.

It would look better with Turbines.

Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Kyle Kaulback

Lesson 3: Guys in Porsches (4) will make it a point to catch up and check you out. Guys in Ferraris (2) will make it a point to drive by you while doing everything they can to pretend they don't notice you.

:rofl: :rofl:

Screw you Moxie. I hate you, I'll never talk to you again!!!!!!!

I've looked at every one of those photos. I hate the orange, I hate the leather colour....

This isn't jealousy talking, no, not at all.... I just don't like you any more.....

I'm NOT jealous......

No, it's definately not that.....

I honestly don't think it looks totally awesome inside and out and I don't love that leather colour I've never seen in an Evora before..... :(

Chunky Lover

Pshaw. You're just jealous I got the Bahar bounty money.

Wow!!! I think there are a few color combinations that the Evora looks perfect in, and that's definitely one of them! :w00t:

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE