free hit
counters
What tuning is available for the MY88 turbo? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

What tuning is available for the MY88 turbo?

What are the options available for tuning the 1988 esprit turbo with carbs.

Ie can you add a charge cooler / convert to injection etc Is there an after market throttlebody / injection system available?

I've never tuned a turbo with carbs before.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite alot of potential.

My chargecooler is retro fitted and plumbed through the aircon rads although I am looking at altering this. This has allowed me to run a race actuator and using a greddy dual boost control I run 0.85 bar low boost and 1.0bar high boost.

I am running 261bhp at low boost and 288bhp on high.

A K&N or greens filter and an exhaust is also a must.

If you are keeping the carbs then you will need to have them rejetted if you are using higher boost.

It all kinda depends how far you want to go. You could get an inection system off a later car and wire in something like an emerald ecu to control the whole thing.

Eventually though you will be limited by the turbo. We have the smallest of the turbos so going to a bigger one will give you a bit more.

HTH

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Thanks I'll have a look.

Basically I've wanted an Esprit for years (an SE would be perfect) but I've been offered a Turbo that I know the history of and I'd rather not take the gamble if you see what I mean. I've tuned and bare shell built various Jap cars (Impreza, S13 200sx etc) but them bought a house and had to sell all toys. :blink:

Recently I worked on a friends Elise and was very impressed with what I saw. This got the Lotus bug fired up again and after looking at a couple of Elise (is that how you say it, plural) I remembered the Esprit SE / Turbo would cost about the same. :o Basically I want to know if I could get 300bhp with the carbs or would I be better ditching for injection. Your power figures do sound promising though so what spec is your car currently?

Turbo wise I've got a lovely GT28RS 60A/R and a hybrid ball bearing core sat in the garage........... I wonder if :angry:

Currently stock internals.

I'm well on the way for the 300bhp.

I think with a new turbo it would be well on the way. I could also do with a slightly colder intake temp with the chargecooler but I am in the process of looking at modifying this.

The internals on mine are stock and I've only had the carbs rejetted to cope with the 1.0 bar boost. If I can get more effective cooling to the intake then I might be able to increase the boost a touch more. The main difference as far as I know between the SE and the turbo is the SE has chrome topped pistons, chargecooler and injection as standard.

You could go down the road of water injection as well as the chargecooler but not sure how effective this would be.

Obviously all the other normal tuning things can be applied such as head work etc. It depends how far you want to go.

Where in the country are you based???

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

I'm in Warrington. Who did the carb rejet (or who supplies the jets?).

Could be worth seeing about an aftermarket charge cooler and hard piping kit straight off if I look at this route then.

What are the options available for tuning the 1988 esprit turbo with carbs.

Ie can you add a charge cooler / convert to injection etc Is there an after market throttlebody / injection system available?

I've never tuned a turbo with carbs before.

Nothing against the non-SE cars but for what you want to do you'll be better off if you get the SE. With all the money you'll spend on mods it'll cost about as much as an SE.

MHO...

Pete

Rejet was done by a local race tuner near Humberside airport. Any decent tuning shop should be able to do the rejet on the carbs.

Pete,

In some respects I agree. However you will still need to spend a few hundred quid on a chip, exhaust and filter to get 300bhp out of a SE. It all depends on how much the base car comes in at. A decent SE would be about

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Rejet was done by a local race tuner near Humberside airport. Any decent tuning shop should be able to do the rejet on the carbs.

Pete,

In some respects I agree. However you will still need to spend a few hundred quid on a chip, exhaust and filter to get 300bhp out of a SE. It all depends on how much the base car comes in at. A decent SE would be about

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm