free hit
counters
I LIKE (M)IKE! > MJK - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

I LIKE (M)IKE! > MJK

For those who don't get the reference, when Dwight D. Eisenhower, aka "Ike", ran for president, everyone who supported him had an "I LIKE IKE" button...

post-6978-0-39501800-1339126231.jpg

The MIKE I'm referring to is obviously MJK. Without getting in to the details (I'll let others who know them better than me do so below if they choose), I think the relationship between Bahar and MJK was appalling on several counts, predominantly exacerbated by the DB crew, and I see Bahar's recent departure as an opportunity for the incoming Mr. Aslam Farikullah to reach out--to some extent--any extent--and build a relationship with MJK, if only for the seasoned and caring input he'd gladly give for the sake of the company. Plus he's a fellow engineer.

Bahar putting the kabosh on MJK's input always felt a bit like someone trying to reinvent the Star Trek Enterprise without having at least a telephone relationship for as-needed advice from Mr. Spock. I know for a fact that MJK would be only too pleased to help the new owners, and having him on-board even if limited to an advisory position, sends a positive signal all around. I also know for a fact that he had an approved and fascinating (beyond what was approved on paper) plan for Lotuses future car lineup and it would be interesting to see if any of it resonates with the new management since it was more grounded in reality and marketability than Bahar's, even though I respected that as well, but Bahar's was bloated and overreaching in my opinion, and far too reliant on stunts that cost too much money and took the focus away from Lotus's DNA ans core competencies, which i still think can be morphed in to a more marketable lineup.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes please. It's only fair if DRB wants their own people in the operations and finance roles after this debacle, but please put someone at the helm who knew what a Lotus was before Pretty Woman came out. MJK, even in an advisory role, would be brilliant. Especially with the budget to do really great things.

I don't even mean at the helm. I just mean an advisor who's voice and experience and good will get input.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

ARG! I and his Grandkids like to see the old man other than at the factory where he previously spent 24/7!! And he was real grumpy when we took him away from his work for normal human stuff like eating.

But, by all means, if Lotus want to try building a few bridges with one of the only people left who Colin believed in and trusted his company with, then shoot.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I too have always felt that not offering MJK a board seat for legacy and continuity was a huge oversight. Pride goeth before the fall. If nothing else, an advisory position, like whatever Lutz is supposed to be doing (seriously doubt Lutz was a fan of the Swizz thing :dizzy: ) is vital to truly maintaining Lotus DNA. I also think RGB should be included in that converstion as well...

Does this mean the "gag order" is lifted? :innocent:

I agree with Tony K - where do I sign. Lotus's DNA is so unique, strong and valuable, that every effort to maintain and strengthen it should be made. And MJK is one whose input would be invaluable. He should no longer be frozen out. Bring back MJK.

If a role can be found for MJK, that still allows him to enjoy his retirement and family in some capacity and most importantly maintain his health, then I'd sign up for that. Maybe be Honorary Chairman? The same goes for Roger Becker but as his piece in one of the early Lotus Magazine's was at pains to point out, he does seem to be enjoying his retirement!

But perhaps more importantly the 'new' management need to get a sense of order and stability in place pdq to ensure the likes of Matt Becker, Gavan Kershaw, Steve Crijns and the rest stick around. This is where the true Lotus DNA resides (suitably updated for the noughties). If these guys walk, as well as some of the other long term Lotus guys Lotus would be in serious doo doo.

I dont mind helping out a bit round Hethel... i will need that pearl white V8 Esprit and about 100k to spend on a house too. dont worry i shant eb renting it... its for a deposit.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I know for a fact that MJK would like to help them out in some capacity, whether its helping sort the current situation out or helping them going forward. However in an advisory role, not full time.

I also know Roger Putnam and of Course Roger Becker who are both close friends of MJK's.

To be honest you couldn't find 3 people in the world who care more about Lotus than those 3 and they are 3 of the only senior level guys from the 70's and 80's still around and working (though RB is enjoying his retirement you are quite correct).

No matter what we would like its up to DRB to want them than them wanting to help DRB.

To be honest one thing MJK and RP do really well is go into places and "get a grip" on things, turning them around, developing product and getting units sold and produced. If you wanted someone to do that you couldn't do better in the UK motor industry IMHO.

We all know that RB is top man for Engineering, development etc etc.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

+1 Those 3 would be great advisors, and add Mr Ansar Ali to that as the CEO!

And they are all 4 available at the moment... What are the Malaysians waiting for???????

Note: We had Steve Crijns to join us at our Tour 2 weeks ago and he wouldn't comment on the Lotus situation now or under Bahar, but he did say 1 thing; That he was very positively impressed how the new COO Aslam handles things. He honestly thinks he might just be the right man, at the right place, at the right time.

Edited by Exploded

Calypso Rose Rules the World!