free hit
counters
SSD - Technology & Gaming - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

SSD

Bibs

Anyone using one? Any good?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Super Silly Dumptruck? I'm trying to give up. :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Me too!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I use small a SSD for the operating system, documents, emails etc and a larger HDD for media in both my laptop and media center desktop at home. With Win7 the boot up time is now a few seconds.

One of those things where once you swap from HDD to SSD you can not go back.

My Sony Viao Z actually has 4 x 32G SSDs in a Raid 0 configuration which apparently makes it faster still. No idea if it makes any difference, I got it because it was the only small / light laptop where you can fit a SSD and HDD.

I thin they are totally worth it, i was somewhat sceptical about the improvement but in actual every day PC use its much quicker

Time to boot login screen - quicker

Time to run programs from login - way way faster, in fact its no wait at at its ready to go. Before I had to hang around filing my nails until it was ready.

Time taken to launch programs - instant now for most except games

for example mozilla thunderbird mail took a while for all the mail to load up , now its instant.

I would highly recommend it, however do your research not all SSDs are built equal some are significantly faster than others.

MY PC spec for comparison, different builds will have their own impact.

post-2255-0-99900200-1340093100.jpg

post-2255-0-89959900-1340093110.jpg

SSD. Am I alone here in not knowing what the frick that is?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

.......................?......................... still none the wiser.

Does the little person in there work quicker or something?

What about the internets, are they quicker or is that something to do with my telephone line?

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Evora NA

I got this far and fell asleep.

"A solid-state drive (SSD), sometimes called a solid-state disk or electronic disk, is a data storage device that uses integrated circuit assemblies as memory to ..."

Thanks :) I'll stick to my IT guy doing everything for work and the man at the computer shop telling me to buy "That one" to play my games :P

Technophobe out :)

SSDs are definitely worth of upgrade you really notice the difference. I have updated all my home computers and difference was big. Biggest different was boot times and photo processing times. And with laptops it's so silent and cool :)

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

• 1 year later...

A couple of years later I've got round to buying an SSD.

Can I just say that doing this with Windows 8.1 is a real ballache and I'm still, 3 hours in, doing it and no further than I was when I started. MS changed the boot file system from MBR to GPT in 8.1 and you can no longer just clone the discs. I'm now about to clone the partition using the 4th piece of software I've tried and will attempt to make the SSD bootable using the Windows repair utilities. PITA, big time.

Evora NA

Done! 

I cloned the data partition which took a while, created another small partition then booted with a Windows recovery stick which recreated the boot sector! 

It's certainly quiet and quick :thumbsup:

Evora NA

• 5 months later...

Worth noting that if you use a SSD drive they are prone to failure in the event of a sudden power loss. This happened to me and required the drive to be reformatted and a fresh OS install. So to prevent this I use an Uninterrupted power supply on my PC, its a Cyber Power one. Gives me 20-23 mins of power for my PC and monitor in the event of a power cut or a surge protection power out.

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/pfc-sinewave-series/CP1500PFCLCD.html?selectedTabId=overview&imageI=#tab-box

See these articles 

http://www.zdnet.com/how-ssd-power-faults-scramble-your-data-7000011979/

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/169124-the-mysteriously-disappearing-drive-are-power-outages-killing-your-ssds

http://lkcl.net/reports/ssd_analysis.html

Interesting.

The drive that I bought has 6GB of cache, I think/hope that would make it less likely to corrupt the main data on the drive since it will be relying on that cache for most of the time dealing with operating system files that are used often.  Could be wrong though.

Some drives have "power loss prevention".  Where I live, we probably loose power once or twice per year.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Note that SSDs also wear out. They use a technique called wear levelling to last longer (same as USB drives). Means that data is copied all over the SSD. Something to remember when disposing of it. You would be amazed at what our Forensic Computing students can get back from drives being sold on ebay. People think they wipe them but in fact it only clears the index.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350