free hit
counters
Where to find distributor replacement for Lucas 41953 B 45DM4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jussi

Where to find distributor replacement for Lucas 41953 B 45DM4

It's been some problems here in north on last days :( Last summer I just drove my car...but this....

My summer holiday started on last friday and of course I celebrated it with driving my Lotus....driving, eh couple of blocks :D

Last friday:

friday.jpg

Idle has been quite poor on some time but this time it didn't even took revs and engine shutted down couple of times, then it didn't started anymore.

Took the car on garage and when it started the running was very poor. Checked that it got fuel and sparks. Changed new spark plugs and ignition ampfilier (it's from chevy small block)...didn't helped.

Today we took the distributor out and realized that timing rotor is broken:

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

Another strange thing is that the manual says that from distributor to ignition amplifier-box ohms should be 3-5ohms (the lead between amplifier and distributor). we got only 1,7ohms reading. It would be nice if someone could check from his car what readings you get.

We think that best solution is to get new distributor...but from where?

I would appreciate any help to find new replacement distributor and it would be nice if the company has fast delivery....need my car this week ;)

Couple of photos from the model from my car:

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

SJ Sportscars list them.

RECONDITIONED DISTRIBUTOR 41623 (Constant Energy)

image.png

Part number SJ594 Exchange £145.00 (click on the camera for picture)

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Thanks John, but isn't the distributor on USA-models different than euromodels?

USA/Federal distributor has the correct vacuum advance/retard capsule. Euromodel will fit but then we have to play with the timing.

Thanks John, but isn't the distributor on USA-models different than euromodels?

USA/Federal distributor has the correct vacuum advance/retard capsule. Euromodel will fit but then we have to play with the timing.

So give them a call & have a chat, they're very helpful & speak excellent English. :lol:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

What kind of job is it to install Pertronix? Need any other parts?

At the moment, all we need is a new "timing rotor" and a new "pick up unit". If I put the Pertronix, can I forgot those?

Any direct link for suitable Pertonix system for my distributor :)

Edited by Jussi

Used a Pertronix copy of the Lucas dizzy...works really well.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/dist/british.aspx

Very simple install, 2 wires to their coil....

Rob

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone :-(

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The parts falling from this car are examples of the finest British craftsmanship”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

The plastic drive dog is generic to the Lucas constant energy distributors, as is the pickup. I bought a Rover V8 disributor from Ebay, removed the parts and sold it for more than I bought it for! You can also get the parts from a series 3 Jag. I'm sure there are many others. As a general guide, if you see a Lucas distributor with a blue cap, it is a Constant Energy version.

Thanks John :) Will do.

Although fan relay rattle sound came back, we thought the problem was with the otter switch, which we changed...but it wasn't :(

On USA-model there are 3 fans and I got readings 1,4ohm, 1,0ohm and 1,0ohm. We have fixed those two fans. It may be time to fix that last one also. Strange thing is, when I disconnect that 1,4ohm fan....rattle of relay continues. Relay is new one, any good tips for checking wire, where are those "bad connections"?

Fan relay rattle is occasional, usually it happens with hot engine.