free hit
counters
Fitting gearbox to engine - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fitting gearbox to engine

Hi all...looking for some advice

I am soon to mate my gearbox to a 2nd V8 engine.... Not the one that came out of the car.

I notice there are a number a shims in the parts manual to be fitted on the bottom bolts to aid alignment.

My original engine/gearbox combo had no shims fitted...

How do I determine what size shims I need to correctly align the gearbox and new engine..??

The gearbox has the GTO kit fitted so I believe alignment is crucial.

Cheers

Gary

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

first advice: offer some glasses/goggles (however it is named in English) to read your post ! :D

..second advice: -bin your workshop pages, and start looking into the V8 section

-as you have used the 4pot manuals I think (the *shim* note is there on the 910/920 family manuals -not the V8 pages..) ;)

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

As I say -it is only mentioned for the 4pot cars ..never have seen shims really used on the V8 !

..would think this is a rubbish partnumber, as if you start to fit the gearbox from the top end and thighten things up you can see if you really have a gap between the sump (and as long as the sump was prior fitted in the right way -as such without a step between the rear faces of the sump/engine block ...you would not need a shim)

in case you really have a gap -you can allways use an old 'feeler gaughe' blade and fit it inbetween, and thighten up the lower screws.

Maybe the 4pot is more critical there, as for the special note about this in the 4pot-repair section. It is clear that the input shaft does not like to be placed in a sharp angle, but if prior work was carried out precice it should fit anyway

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..