free hit
counters
New Head (unit) - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New Head (unit)

karmavore

I bought a new head unit at HiFi buys just days after I got my S4 (five months ago) but just had it installed today. Here are two bad pics:

DSCF1833320_.JPG

DSCF1835320_.JPG

I went with a Clarion DXZ645MP because of the perceived simplicity of the design and the specs. Well, after all this time, I'm disappointed. Not by the sound quality -- because anything is better than the shitty JVC (stock?) unit that was in there -- but because of three really annoying features:

1) It's not smart enough to tell my power antenna to go down when it's not in Tuner mode.

2) It has this inane button next to the volume rotary that, when hit accidentally while in the middle of a good groove, sends you back to the beginning of the 1st track on the CD!! Who wants this feature??? ..and why is it such a small easily hit button!!

3) You can not adjust the bass and treble gain unless it is with in a custom EQ preset (CLUB, POP, VOX, etc) that all head units have these days. I guess the net result is the same, but it is annoying. You can not adjust the mid range at all.

That's it.

Luke.

PS, I think I will try to exchange it for an Alpine. If this is against store policy I will bring up the fact that they installed a SCRATCHED UP floor model WITH OUT ASKING ME or giving me a discount.

Edited by karmavore

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmmmm. I got a JVC :blink:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

But then again. Ive only got an S3. Work on the Clarion if can ever afford an S4 :blink:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

But then again. Ive only got an S3. Work on the Clarion if can ever afford an S4  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Esprit is the only car i've owned that i don't use the stereo. Had a decent CD in my S3 but it was mainly for looks and used it a dozen times tops.

The PO has put quite a decent sony in my SE and upgraded the speakers, but i have yet to use it :blink:

Would swap the stereo hole for some more vents any day :D

Mines pretyy much there to fill the hole. I never ever get bored of listing to the engine and the swoosh and growl of the dump valve. Cool :blink:

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

They should make a small toolkit that slides in the radio hole :D

Could even have a fake 'stereo' front so no-one would know :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or pehaps a toaster or a bespoke sandwich box :D

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Not only that..... but going form your pic, the s0ds have moved your instrument binnacle to the wrong side of the car! :blink:

:D

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif