free hit
counters
New 2-Eleven buyer - need help - 2-Eleven Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

New 2-Eleven buyer - need help

Gezza

Hi everyone. New to the forum.

I'm looking for some advice from owners of regularly tracked launch edition (track spec) 2-Elevens.

I am considering buying a low mileage (1500km) one here in Australia. It will be used exclusively on the track for track days only (can't be road registered in Aus).

Apart from normal servicing at reduced intervals, are there any particular maintenance/service issues that I should be aware of?

Are there any parts that are particularly prone to failure?

I am a bit leery at the possible longevity of the supercharger, having had an Eaton on an MX5 track car that failed fairly early in its life. What manufacture is the Lotus SC? (I know Lotus say it is a Lotus developed SC but the basic SC will be from an outside manufacturer).

Any other info/advice would be appreciated.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gerry. Welcome to TLF. :welcome:

You are over where I used to be until I moved to Victoria.

I'm sure someone will be along that can answer your questions on the 2-11.

You should drop over to the introductions section and make yourself known there as well. :)

Any other questions on the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Any oversteer can be dialled out with a decent geo - personally I've never experienced it in mine. Now with nearly 20,000 miles on the clock, and some 60 odd track days, there is generally very little that goes wrong. I've had a sensor fail which brought the rev limiter in too early as the car thought it was running hot, and it needed a new accelerator linkage which was done under warranty, as was the radiator which showed signs of seepage before the car was a year old. I've heard of one car with a slight oil leak from the supercharger. Mine had a slight leak from the Accusump filter which I believe was a recall issue and sorted on all cars.

The cars don't really have service intervals as they are rarely used as road cars. Instead they have regular track checks. Mine gets looked over after every day, checked properly at the dealer after every three days including twice yearlyclutch/brake fluid changes, sometimes more frequent if I do a lot of days, oil changes after every 3 or 4 days dependent on how hard I drove and the circuit, gearbox oil changed annually. The book says the shocks should be serviced every 2yrs or 10k miles iirc - I had mine completely rebuilt at 3yrs, though they weren't leaking or anything. If you have a search through you'll find other points people say to look out for. I also had a Moroso sump fitted and uprated the engine mounts with polyeurathane (sp?) inserts, plus a Letsla linkage to improve the gear change. Make sure it's had the ECU reflash too.

Great cars.

Thanks for the comments all.

After reading that the supercharger is an Eaton MP62 (distributed in the US by Magnuson) I am having second thoughts about buying the 2-Eleven. This is the same SC that self-destructed in my track MX5 recently and took out my engine. They have been the SC of choice by a considerable number of street driven Miatas in the US where a number of similar failures have also been recorded, some at an early age like mine (< 5000kms mostly on the street). They may be OK in a street car application but I have serious doubts about their suitability for extended track use where they are on boost for prolonged periods. Jo, I acknowledge that you have had about 60 track days with no SC worries, but it seems that failures are erratic with the majority of installations providing a long trouble free life.

If at any time you hear a rattling sound (like a can full of gravel) coming from the engine bay, stop immediately as it will most likely be the sound of SC rotors clashing after a rear bearing failure.

Please don't take these comments as a slur against the 2-Eleven. I still think they are a terrific car that I would love to own. However my experience with my SC has forever soured me against Eaton superchargers.

Well after 6 years I guess I should worry eh ? It sounds like you should be looking at a turbo kit from Radium.

Dude everything fails at some time it's a car after all and if it's not one thing it's another..

I think it's fast enough…maybe

You could buy an NA and bolt a supercharger (^ or turbo, or both!) to it.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Reliability areas to focus on are...

Correct engine & gearbox oils for track day / racing in the Aussie heat.

Upgrade the radiator due to weak factory unit

Engine mounts, change the inserts

Change the fuel tank to a remove fuel startvation issues

Keep of the limiter to protect the oil pump from failing

Upgrade the sump to prevent oil surge issues

Be as kind to the gearbox as you can as the syncros are prone to failure at the hands of some drivers

Is the one you are looking to buy on car point?

Edited by Antipodean