free hit
counters
My baby Went Pop! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Yesterday whilst driving, (quite hard), I heard a large pop sound come from the engine bay and lost power.

I have rplaced teh coil and ignition lead and still I have no spark from the distributer,

Is there some sort of module or relay that controls this somewhere that I can check?

Proabably have to remove dizzie and take to auto lekky aye?

Any help appreciated, tis a sad day...

Justin

88Turbo US Spec

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be a problem with the pickup on the distributor. There are a couple of wires that break.

This happened to mine and I had to get a reconned pickup as new ones don't appear to exist any more.

The distributor is a pain to get at too! You need long thin arms.

Alan

Thanks Alan, as I thought, looks like I have to take out the distributor and take to a sparky.

have not had a good look at the dissy yet, i remember that last time I chanted the cap, it was a real pai to get at and the easiest way was to removbe the air box. Seems like everytime I do anything to the old girl, that box has to come out. Might look at some sort of a pod filter conversion., no of any good quick fit and remove ones?

Justin

88 Turbo

Thanks Alan, as I thought, looks like I have to take out the distributor and take to a sparky.

have not had a good look at the dissy yet, i remember that last time I chanted the cap, it was a real pai to get at and the easiest way was to removbe the air box. Seems like everytime I do anything to the old girl, that box has to come out. Might look at some sort of a pod filter conversion., no of any good quick fit and remove ones?

Justin

88 Turbo

I had this exact problem 2 weeks ago on a Westfield 7, turned out to be the spark was shorting out though the rotor arm to the shaft it fixes to - very cheap fix!

Phil

98GT3

• 5 weeks later...

Turns out after all the panic, it is only the rotor button!

Being my baby is a US Spec, there is very few here andras such, no parts references. Does anybody know what the rotor button part number for a Lucas Distriutor? It has Fuel injection, (Bosch K-Jeronic), and a Turbo.

I haveseen reference to a part number RA1 Is this correc for the S1, S2 ad the US Spec X180?

Cheers

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet, will investigate.

turns out that after further investigation, it was nothing more than a rotor arm/ button.

I feel lik a bit of a spaz of course, its like diagnosing a blown headgasket instead of a radiator top up...

thanks for your reply, I will ask my mechanic to investigate options.

Justin