free hit
counters
It's a sad day - Topics - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

• Gold FFM

Well today she finaly beat me, the beast beat me well and truly and even got my finger tip's. Here's me thinking, she is now all taxed and tested, valeted and looking real good for the weekend so lets give her a wee run, well thats what we did, about half a mile when the throtle jamed wide open so I quickly dipped the clutch and pulled into the side of the road, she then settled back to normal so I thought ok lets turn round and go home, then the missfire started and I though oh sh++ what next, then the BLUE smoke and I thought oh sh++ I have blwon the engine, then the black smoke and I thought, what the fu++, jumped out and opened the hatch jst as the flames were begining to shoot through the engine cover and again I thought what the fu++. Flames were leaping from the airbox which I then tore off, flames from the air intake pipe which I grabed and tried to pull off and the bloody flames all over the newly fitted and fresh petrol pipes which of course I couldnt pull off. First on the scene were three joggers with a litre bottle of water which I grabed and tried to douse the flames, no joy, then I remembered the extinguisher behind the seat, grab it pull the pin and cover it with dry powder I thought, well that was a no no as it had lost it's pressure, by this time the flames were licking up onto the rear glass and I remembered I had just put a gallon container of water under the bonet for the weekends jaunt so I grabed it then continued to sprinkle the contents over the increasing flames, this eventauly worked and the fire went out with a bit of help from me pulling bits off by hand at the same time. On investagation once things had cooled down I found the left hand carbs internals had all but melted, the K&N flter had a large melted hole in the middle of it. So the moarl of this sad tale is always check your fire extinguisher works, make sure your mobile phone is handy, charged and has a signal, and allways make sure your petrol pipes are in good order as I am sure that if mine hadnt been replaced just a few weeks ago things would have been far worse. I have a strong suspicion that she will not make Glamis this weekend.

John, with slightly sore finger's.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(

At least you saved it before a meltdown.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• Gold FFM

I hate to say it but at one point I did think sod it just let it burn, then I thought, I have put so much blood sweat and tears into this thing since I bought her last year that would be a shame so finger tips were sacrificed but got the fire out.

Edited by johnpwalsh

It so easy to loose them completely in that sort of situation. At least you were not seriously hurt (or anybody else) and the bonus is that it seems the car is a reasonable job to return it to a running condition again.

• Gold FFM

Thanks Andy, plans are now afoot to borrow a set of carbs tomorrow and try her out and see if any aloy has been sucked into the manifold, I doubt it as it they should have closed, target now to sort her out tomorrow ready for an attempt at Glamis this weekend so with a little help from our Lotus friends again she may just live to run another day.

John.

really sorry to hear this, but at least you were not injured too badly.

I hope that the damage isn't too bad and you can get it up and running again soon

:)

Edited by TAR

It's getting there......

• Gold FFM

Thanks Tim, fingers crossed and with a little help from some of our friends an attempt will be made tomorrow to get her going again.

John.

Wow, a really lucky escape. Good luck with the repairs!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Still trying to find the cause of the fire, I recon a backfire and a collection of fuel in the K&N filter which ignited, the fuel lines were all new as they were leaking and cracked so I replaced them just a few months back which was a blessing or could have been much worse, the part I am not sure about was why she started to over rev but I obviously dont know if this was part of the fire, her trying to suck air into the carb or something more but I hope to find out today as I collected a set of carbs this morning from Scott and plan to fit them today and see what goes.

Cheers

John.

• Gold FFM

Update.

Carbs removed and all the melted material from the K&N filter and then found that the vunturies on the left carbs had also gone, cleaned evrything up and fitted the carbs that Scott had loaned me from his Elite project, got the beast started and she is spewing out unburned fuel from the carb so after discussions with Scott and a few others the conclusion seems to be a broken inlet valve, ouch, I have now sourced a correct set of carbs to replace the damaged ones and a posibe cylinder head but as I know the engine is a bit worn and burning a bit of oil ( as Lotus do) I think I will either go for a complete engine rebuild or take the option of a good used low mileage engine I know of so this means she will be in hibernation for some time as Wendy and I have another big project on the go the month after next. As we were determined to have both cars at Glamis this year and the amount of work that has gone into getting her all cleaned up after a 3 month stopover at the garage she is loaded on a trailor and WILL be at Glamis for the weekend this decision was taken after managing to get the Banana through her MOT this morning so Wendy will have her initiation drive of the Eclat to Glamis very early on Saturday morning with me in hot pursuit in the camper and trailor, now is that dedication to Lotus or what, or are we just bloody mad.

Hope to see you all there, and thanks for all the messages. Now if anybody has a GOOD and reasonably priced 2.2 NA engine going spare you know where to find me.

Cheers.

John.

Edited by johnpwalsh

Never fun if you can't get back to a root cause for the fire.

Hope you get it sorted ok.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

With regards the burning oil, you'd be best to check where the oil is getting into the cylinder before starting the work. If it happens to be the valve guides then that should e sorted with the head work and so save a complete rebuild. It may well be the rings but it is gutting to do lots of work unnecessarily.

• Gold FFM

Hi Andy and thanks for your comments, after loads of discussions with loads of friends all in the Lotus community on what to do and how to do it plus the fact that when we were at the the SVVF classic car show at Glamis over the weekend I have been given several choices of alternative Esprit S3's so I have now decided to go down the insurance claim route, after all that's what we pay dearly for, at the moment the insuance assesor has said it will be a class C where I will be able to retain the salvage and make a good repair with a proper sorted engine etc, so now just a case of wait and see.

But she will live on. gauranteed.

Thanks all.

John.

Edited by johnpwalsh
  • Gold FFM

Well it's official, my Esprit is now a write off class C, I have spent the day searching through all the paperwork that came with the car which I actualy forgot I had and found some interesting history. Every MOT from day one, thousands of pounds worth of invoices and receipts for new gearbox, brakes all round, headlights, services, belt changes and god knows what else but it looks pretty exhaustive so now the argument starts with the insurance over the value, they have informed me that they want to come and collect the car and take it to secure storage untill it is sorted out so I have obviously told them that it will stay where it is untill I am informed about the payout, I have also put it in writing that I want the option of keeping the car as salvage, so now just a waiting game. Has anyone been in this position before, if so what did you do. I only have one day left before going back overseas so I doubt it will be sorted by then.

Cheers.

John.

Cat C for a small engine fire seems pretty harsh. I would have thought it would have been cat D?

You will need to get it VIC tested before it can go back on the road.

As for the insurance, the car remains your property until the claim is settled and you receive the money/ Don't let them take it.

It's getting there......

• Gold FFM

Hi Tim, yes I agree with the cat D, I have spoken with the insurers today and they are sticking to cat C but I am keeping the car untill it is all sorted out, I have gone through all the paperwork that came with her when I bought it last year and counted something like 8.5 k of receipts for work done over the past 6 years including a new gearbox clutch and all the parts that go with it, all new brake callipers back and front, new steering rack, new front loom and loads more and that does not include the respray that was done two years ago so well worth keeping and rebuilding the engine.

John.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

BEAST LIVES ON. The insurance has been sorted and the salvage retained as a class D. A deal has been done with the great Lotus man from Englandshire and a replacment engine will be flying North from Warickshire in the next week or so. He even kindly delievering it for me, now thats service. The replacement engine is going on the test bed in the next few days to make sure all is good and she will arrive complete with a replacement set of carbs, (as the originals were melted) new timing gear and belts all ready to fit. I get back to the UK on Friday night so guess what I have to do Saturday, yep, drag her home from my other garage and get cracking so we are going to miss the Crathes show and our club stand on the Sunday as I have less than a week to get her back up and running for Colin's run to Oban the next weekend and in between I may even have to rebuild the engine in the old Banana, the Eclat has lost compression on one cylinder which I recon is s sticky valve as it seems to clear and run on all four cylinders when she gets above 2500 revs and as Wendy is now running her I suppose I better make her roadworthy, so watch this space and cross the fingers. You never know we may even have two reliable Lotus by the end of the week but no promisses.

Thanks for all the previous comments, now if anyone nearbye has a few hours to spare on the 17/18th August and can handle a panner you know where you will be wellcome, free tea being served.

Best regards.

Keep the Faith.

Feel the Love.

Love the Lotus.

Just.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Update.

The engine has arrived.

Back from Baku a day late due to delays, Brian arrived with the engine at 10 am Saturday morning while my body clock is all over the place, ok time to work, engine all ready to lift before tea time then we find the crane I have is just too short so having tried all the other hire companies I now have to go buy one as it seems to be the only option, 3/4 day delivery so she is not going to make the Oban run but on the plus side I have spent some time while on the old Eclat waiting for the crane to arrive , fitted another set of carbs and hey ho she now runs on all four cylinders at all revs so the Mrs is now happy as she seems to have claimed the car as hers, even went and fitted the springs to the boot lid so the piece of timber that has been used as a support for the fours years is now redundant so the Banana lives on again, great what it has been through over the last four years of partial neglect and still runs strong but I have promised to give her a full service after the beast is back up and running. Small tip to you budding mechanics, try and get a good size garage if you are doing the same job, it is a real pain having to climb over everything to find the spanner you are looking for and keeping your fingers crossed that the rain stays off as the car is on blocks on the drive.

I dont know if any of you remember that a few months back I bought a Black Eclat for spares then decided she was far to good to break, well a neighbour bought it off me as his first foray into the world of Lotus and classic restoration, I am glad to say the Black thing is now almost complete and Ewan is on the point of refiiting the engine and gearbx so with a little bit of luck and probably a good few hours help from yours truly she will hit the black top next week and then we can say another Lotus has been saved and back on the road so look out for a Black Eclat which will be a newcomer to the group, Ewan deserves a lot of praise for this one as she was a lot worse than we first thought, he has removed, striped, cleaned or replaced almost every component other than the engine so she should be good for a while and it will be great to see it back on the road after sitting in a barn since 1987.

John.

Keep the Faith.

Feel the Love.

Love the Lotus.

Well maybe.

that's great news about the Cat D classification. I hope all goes well with the replacement engine.

The faith is kept.

It's getting there......

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Job is going well, engine arrived and all ready to fit with new water pump, timing belt, tensioner, 4 branch stainless steel mannifold (might as well beef it up a bit while its out) new engine moutnings, new stupid little plastic washer on gearbox shaft, was that pricey or what for a bit of plastic. Engine bay and the gearbox all cleaned up with the pressure washer. New engine crane arrived which was still to short so local blacksmith called the make alterations and a trial lift done to make sure it will take the weight at the longer reach and all was well, now just got to wait for a little spare time to get the lump back in but as I have a wedding to go to this weekend (mine) I have been convinced that the prearations for that is slightly more important than my Esprit, well I kept the dummy in the pram on that one but the lip is slightly down never mind I will have a few days before going back overseas to work so might just manage to squeeze it in then.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Hi guys just a quick update. Well the engine went in just before the wedding took place as I managed to sneak a bit of time in between Ewans Black Eclat and wedding preps, all the new mountings fitted, new oil seals, timing gear etc as previously mentioned and also found out that the engine has had a previous rebuild, bonus. Now the funny bit, Everybody say's fit the mannifold before fitting the engine so hey ho go buy others experience thinks I, oh no it wont fit, engine back out mannifold off again and engine back in, hey presto one and a half hours later to do up the mannifold bolts and she is in and all but done but sadly ran out of time, well chucks, now the wife, did sort of hint that we had an important function to attend and about 60 guest who would want food and loads of drink afterwards so I guess she had a point. So the news is she is close to being back on the road and the modified engine crane worked a treat, just acouple of coolant pipes and she will be ready so fingers crossed. Thanks to those of you who came to the wedding it was a sight to see a couple of old eclat's with wedding ribbons and a bride in Green wellies, long story for another time. Presently back at work in Azerbaijan but due home in a couple of weeks then of back to Turkey for a well earned holliday so the beast will have to be dormat for another 3 or 4 weeks but she will be back. Forgot to add, just become the owner of another Lotus plus a half for spares, this time an Elite, I bought it to save it from becomming another long term storage forgotten project. Anybody want to save this one, she is in pretty good nick just requires some paint, go on save her you know you want to.

Feel the Love.

Love the Lotus

Keep The Faith.

Just.

Edited by johnpwalsh
  • 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Short update on the Beast, the engine is in and fitted up after a 6 week delay, now have her turning over and I think a bit more power in the battery and get the timing set up she may actualy run again. The next problem is I am due away back to Azerbaijan next week so another 4 week delay, grrrrrrrrrrrr. As for the Elite I saved, she has been delivered and is now parked under cover, mechanicaly she is very good with a rebuilt engine, galvanised chassis and good gearbox as is all the running gear, the paintwork is dire and was originaly Essex met Blue but had been resprayed Met Silver at some point, the interior is salvageable but would require a new roof cloth, anyone interested get in touch and you can have her for my costs, I also have a load of other Eclat/Elite/Excell spares if you are looking for some parts.

John W.