free hit
counters
Tyre Make - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I will need new tyres soon and I am thinking of trying a change. I have always used the original Michelins (PS3 front and PS2 rear as they don't do front + rear in either type). I have a 97 V8 with OZ Saturns. What would be the pros and cons of different tyre makes and would there be much difference noted if I used 295 on the rear? I presume they will fit but would there be any difference (good or bad)?

Thanks

Edited by toyroom

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John,

I too have a 98 fitted with Saturns.For the last five years or so I have been running on Falkens and have been very pleased with them.I chose these because I use the car for work and wanted a tyre with good grip and a reasonable life expectancy

Plus you don't have to re mortgage the house to buy a set around £500 to kit out a V8

Regards

Dave

what's with Toyos [T1R] ..as those are available out there in the Stock-size ..even if you go for semi-slick, Toyo can offer some [888]

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Toyo........T1Rs are very good in dry and wet. I changed from Dunlop 9000s on the S4 and they transformed the cars handling. I have T1Rs on the front of the 350 and old T1s on the rear, I will be changing to the new Toyo when required, I am told the T1R is now obsolete by my tyre man ??

Dont worry,be happy.............

have a set of DOT 09/10 Toyos, which I bought in 2011 ..so maybe there are still some out there, if you don't need to have only the 'fresh production' tires on your car.

if they are obsolete now -why are they still listed here ? http://www.toyo.de/tire/pattern/proxes-t1-r

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/513803_-proxes-t1-r-285-35-zr18-101y-toyo.html

According to the guy who fitted my new Toyo T1r's they have now gone over to a new assymetric pattern design which I now have fitted to my Esprit and are big improvement over the 10 year old Dunlop 9000's. You can still find the older original pattern tyres for sale although the new ones are available with matching patterns and the exact size as detailed in the owners manual. I went round the Classic LeMans circuit last week in my Alpine A610 which had a set of original pattern T1r's on at a very respectable speed and apart from quite a bit of tyre squeel and my passenger going ghostly white and very quiet I thought they like on my RX7 performed very well.

• 1 month later...

What about Yokohama?

well, 20 minutes on the internet and it looks like Good Year Eagle F2 asymmetric are the only tyres made by a famous company where you can get front and rear sizes in the same tyre. any experience with these? yokohama, Toyo, Pirelli and Michelin were dead ends by the way

check out nitto nt 05's. not the greatest daily driver tire, however for street - track they are a dream come true. I had some Tr1's. great street, but no comparision to the nittos when fast cornering. They are a little noisy, not a lot of tread depth, but stick like glue. Before I installed them I always felt like the rear of my car had sort of a floating almost wanting to oversteer feeling when cornering hard. It was the tires. The nt05's are not that great on rough roads and are a little racey for everyday use. However. if you use your car for weekend road trips they are crazy fast.

from the point of 'price' .. 'performance' ..or how long they last ?

a guy who is far more often on trackdays than I noticed:

-that my set of Toyos does not 'sqeal/sqeaaakk' that much as his, and other road tyres, normally do there on our local track.

But as I can't say what he is running on the public road (most times the trackday toys are on semis over here..) this will not be a reference

Same is in 'performance' terms, as I normally even on track drive like an grandfather ..so I cant see that the tires get on temperature that much to show any significant performance gains (and I have no comparison, as my old factory-size tire set was just "really old" [10years] as I replaced them :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have had Mich Pilots 3 and recently changed to Falkens 452s all round. Not only were they cheaper than the Mich Plots, they actually handled well. In fact I would even go as far as better!! I have the Falkens on my daily drive and proven quiet on the road and great in the wet. And the Falkens 452s are no exception and the front rear sizes are available so same thread pattern.