free hit
counters
Intermittent CEL Code 35 "Issue" - Raised Idle Start - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Intermittent CEL Code 35 "Issue" - Raised Idle Start

Vanya

Hi all,

Since buying my car, I've noticed that maybe once every six weeks or so, I'll start the engine to an idle of roughly 2000 rpm, rising to 3000, together with a check engine/oil light engaged.

The first time this occured, I nearly soiled my pants, considering this is my first Esprit I figured all my fears were about to be realised. As I became aware of the back pressure valve designed to bring up the catalyzer to operating temperature my fears were mitigated somewhat, but I'm still flummoxed as to why this light only ever comes on during "raised RPM" starts (I wouldn't say they are particularly cold "cold starts" either, as I've had the light come on even during days where it was 20-25 degrees C out).

After plugging in Freescan I was notified that Code 35 had been triggered, and upon reading typical issues with this, I don't find it describes my issue - the engine doesn't seem to be hunting, nor does the idle dip so that the car stalls. I know that this is also triggered when the idle rpm is +/-200rpm off from the desired value, but why does this only happen during starts when the engine deems it necessary to raise RPM? My engine doesn't have other types of idle issues (knock on wood) and it doesn't necessarily always happen with raised-idle starts either...it's truly intermittent.

The light goes off after about 2 mins (I'm guessing when the CAT is deemed warm) and the rpm drops down settling at its usual idle just under 1000.

Is this any real cause for concern? Has anyone else had this issue? Is the IAC at fault?

If necessary, I'll upload a CSV file from my car, but catching it "in the act" might be a challenge :)

Thanks in advance!

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of doing the same if I don't find another solution. :)

Or just wire yours open, not uncommon.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The back pressure valve doesn't raise the idle, the throttle jack does. Disconnect and plug the vacuum line from the throttle jacking capsule, and the high idle will be gone.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Just had the same problem,I let the engine warm for a while until rad fans cut in.

Drove down the local garage for some petrol and it was reving its guts out.

Put it on free scan and got code 35,never had it happen before,kin thing !!!

Hehehe, nice to know I'm not alone. How high did yours go? Mine usually goes up to 2800rpm but then calms down after 2 mins. It's like a bonkers cat-warmup cycle. If it happened on my Ford Focus, I wouldn't care, but its so much more unnerving on an Esprit.

Also, Glyn, in your case (as I too have experienced a few times) the car doesn't have to be "cold" for this to happen from the beginning. I don't get it. Either it's a software bug of some sort or the throttle jacking capsule is on the blink. Gotta check out the latter.

It was reving to 3000 then drop down and cut out,Im going to check the IAC

valve,take it out and give it a clean.I saw a post by Bibs re this also there

is an O ring on valve which may have gone.

Will have a nose shortley and report back.

Well Ive removed and cleaned the IAC valve with carb cleaner spray and WD40.

O ring looked ok,I also cleaned the housing where the valve sits.

Then used Freescan to reset trouble codes,ran it up to fans cut in.

All readings aok and no more code 35.

Its only a 10 min job try that Vanya.

I took it for a sort run and was fine.

I noticed that the Freescan manual states CODE 35 is an idle speed error,

But on the Trouble code screen it shows IAC vavle.

Glyn

Thanks for the tip Glyn!

Just started my summer vacation so for the next month I'll be tinkering with the car - I'll add this to the list of things to do :)

Cheers!

BTW, post in this thread if you ever encounter the problem again, because some time can pass between occurences!

I've had that high idle start regularly (and especially in the summer) from the beginning and always wondered what it was. I don't seem to get error Code 35 much, I just remember seeing it once.

What I've found with this high idle start is that, if the engine still is warm, if you switch off the engine and start it again, it idles normally. I was thinking maybe it was an O2 Sensor issue, but I'll have to give a try to Glyn's IAC valve cleanup to see if it gets rid of the problem.

1980 Peugeot 504 Coupé V6Ti

2000 Peugeot 406 Coupé V6SE

1996 Lotus Esprit S4s

This is beginning to seem like a common issue....

Probably the IAC.

• 2 weeks later...

Lemme know if you also have the throttle jacking capsule cleaned, as this seems to be the main culprit. I've been busy rebuilding my electric windows so haven't gotten round to it yet.

Got the IAC valve cleaned out Tuesday, not that it was particularly dirty anyway. No raised idle at startup Tuesday afternoon, no raised idle at startup yesterday, but this morning, bingo, back to the usual...

Edited by RV_ABZ

1980 Peugeot 504 Coupé V6Ti

2000 Peugeot 406 Coupé V6SE

1996 Lotus Esprit S4s

The IAC can raise the rpms on a cold start. That is normal.

The Throttle jack is also designed to raise the throttle to around 2k rpm on cold startup to counteract the EBPV. If you don't have an EBPV, then you should also remove the throttle jack... the linkage can stick...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Travis, this might be a silly question - but is there any standard way to "clean" the throttle jacking capsule? From what I can tell after a glance at the workshop manual it's basically a capsule that contracts under a vacuum, pulling the throttle cable via a rod - it must be the capsule itself that sticks when it is actuated. Would it be wise to contract it with a vacuum pump, and spray WD40 into it or simply find a replacement? I would really like to keep my car stock so I don't want to remove it. :)

Do you still have the EBPV? If so bracket it open, or put in a long screw to hold it open, so it doesn't restrict the exhaust, and plug the vacuum line. You can always return to stock.

The throttle jack capsule isn't the problem, there is a linkage on the throttle butterflies that can stick. If the throttle butterflies are opened, and there is corrosion on the throttle jack linkage, then the throttle wont return to zero.

Just disconnect the linkage, lube the butterflies, and remove the throttle jack to prevent te rod from jamming in the throttle. You can always put it back to stock later.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

• 2 weeks later...