free hit
counters
bush tool does anyone have one i could borrow - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Alex Carter

bush tool does anyone have one i could borrow

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would advise buying a 10 ton press from ebay. Doesnt cost much and save sooooooooooo much agro.

A press is overkill for fitting the LOTAC05459 type polybushes, with a tapered tool you can fit then using a couple of spanners.

Alex, you can borrow my DIY tool if you pay the postage both ways. PM me if interested.

yes please sailor bob

ive tryed a press on the normal bushes and its split and torn all of them. no amount of skill of lube would work waste of blummin time and money

Edited by Alex Carter

The tool consists of two parts:

1) a 'feeder' that is shouldered to sit over the outside of the arm. It has a bore that reduces in diameter from the OD of the flange of the bush down to the ID bore of the arm using a 15 degree taper. Overall length is about the same as the bush.

2) a 'receiver' that is again shouldered to sit over the outside of the arm. It has a slightly bigger bore than that of the ID bore of the arm to allow the flange of the bush to expand once it has passed through the arm. The bore depth is about twice that of the flange thickness as the bush deforms longitudinally quite bit when inserted.

The bushes are installed using a large bolt with some big washers to pull the bush through and can be done held in the hands. Rubber emulsion lubricant aids installation, Lotus recommend IPCOL P-80. Whatever lubricant is used it must be of the type that dries so as to not provide lubrication to the bush whilst in use and doesn't revert back to acting as a lubricant when it gets wet.

well im off to france next week bob but when i get back ill be ordering the complete set of bushes and would appreciate the use of the tool . ill leave my email here when im back thanks again

yes please sailor bob

ive tryed a press on the normal bushes and its split and torn all of them. no amount of skill of lube would work waste of blummin time and money

You have to have that tool and then they are quite easy. Poly bushings just cost more, they don't have any advantage. The only better way to go is spherical rod ends, if you can live with them on a road car.

It's not putting the new ones in that's the problem, it's getting the old ones out.

If you're doing the ARB to lower arm (which you should) I saw 8 tons on the press before one popped in.