free hit
counters
Has anyone made there own steering wheel? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Has anyone made there own steering wheel?

I was thinking of buying a used Saturn steering wheel "which is supposed to be the same wheel on the 99 V8" post-3469-0-37226500-1342546081.jpg

cutting out the mounting area and welding it on to another wheel with a flat bottompost-3469-0-53569600-1342546099.jpg

no air bag.

Any thoughts?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why not use the RAID replacements (available with, or without airbag) ?

As the inner part of the Pontiac/GM one is aluminium cast, covered in vulcanised rubber -so nothing will being left if you cut something there (hub is integral part)

If you don't like the color of the original one -try what I have done: the black primer for polyurethaen sealand (window sealer) is really sticky, and if you clean the steering wheel prior to this with Acetone it will be dry out within minutes -and you can even spray some ordinary paint all over it additionally (use the primer as base coating -it will make a satin look with this)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

why not use the RAID replacements (available with, or without airbag) ?

As the inner part of the Pontiac/GM one is aluminium cast, covered in vulcanised rubber -so nothing will being left if you cut something there (hub is integral part)

If you don't like the color of the original one -try what I have done: the black primer for polyurethaen sealand (window sealer) is really sticky, and if you clean the steering wheel prior to this with Acetone it will be dry out within minutes -and you can even spray some ordinary paint all over it additionally (use the primer as base coating -it will make a satin look with this)

Respray sounds interesting! I may try a leather wrap like wheelskins, and spray the airbag and body portion.

Thanks for the idea.

does the later Elis-steering wheel (the airbag-version) fit onto the collumn used in the S4 types ? ..as it still looks like an Opel/GM type steering collumn was used -even on the later Elise cars.

..additionally to the steering wheel mod -the SE type leather seats do have some shims under the drivers side seat runners ..if you get off with thos the seat base goes down by 5mm

..if you undo the steering collumn, and cut of the mounting brakets on the outer tube section, and refit them in a different position (so that the whole collum moves up to you and a little bit above the original position , it means that there is more space available too ..especially for taller drivers with long legs, even if the GM type steeringwheel is still used.

There are some 'brake out' inserts on the upper mountings who can also be modified, to give some way upwards ..but this is only recomended if you know what you doo -and as long as you don't have strict reglementations on 'vehicle safety' in your area !!

You still need a custom adapter to fit an Elise wheel.

If you want to change the color or refinish your steering wheel, use the Leatherique dyes and system. They work well and can be used on the vinyl center pad as well as the leather.

Here's one that was in pretty rough condition and refinished with Leatherique European Black.

IMG_1220.jpg

1995 S4s

Travis ..your interiour looks way 'to big' with those small and nimble Elise seats fitted inthere ;)

#

the Elise wheel, with this shiny aluminium, suits the interiour look well on the 'silver dash' type of cars ..like it

I like the Elise wheel not the $300 for the install kit plus whatever the wheel costs. I like to make stuff myself with a small budget and yet have it look good. I am looking at some mounting kits and adapters and my try something that way also.

I was thinking of finding the appropriate adapter from grant.

post-3469-0-17562400-1343133790.jpg

And then using a 3 to 5 or 6 hole 1" extension.

post-3469-0-92812400-1343133842.jpg

Then you can bolt on any 5 or 6 hole wheel.

post-3469-0-23554400-1343133890.jpg

Total cost well under $100 for both adapters and steering wheel. Just need to get all the stuff and try it out I guess.

Does any one know for sure if the hub adapter is for a Saturn, Isuzu, firebird etc....??????

Or something like this.

post-3469-0-40144000-1343134591.jpg

Edited by KENCO

KENCO,

Here is a steering wheel adaptor I made for my S1. The wheel originally was from my Audi Coupe. Works just fine. Takes me ten minutes to revert to stock!

Lyn

post-9373-0-11870300-1343138004.jpg

post-9373-0-15301800-1343138038.jpg

post-9373-0-81343300-1343138072.jpg

post-9373-0-39866500-1343138103.jpg

KENCO,

Here is a steering wheel adaptor I made for my S1. The wheel originally was from my Audi Coupe. Works just fine. Takes me ten minutes to revert to stock!

Lyn

Cool!

I think your version and my 99 V8 used different set ups. But as long as I have the correct spline and bolt pattern anything can be done.

does the S1 Esprit have the 'horn' on the collumn switch by any chance ? ;)

....if so fitting any steering wheel to this car is the easiest task, as even no airbag is there too..

#

Kenneth, you just have to decide what you want to have

-an old classic racing style steering wheel, with bare metal exposed there on the center and no horn or something, or a more 'refined' look of a high class car with leather inserts and soft touch look

..as the interiour would need to match, otherwise it would look strange I think.

You can measure your own steering column, this should be a good reference to have something there from the GM group, even the GM/Isuzu based Lotus M100 used this odd an big steering wheel for some time

• 4 weeks later...

..if you undo the steering collumn, and cut of the mounting brakets on the outer tube section, and refit them in a different position (so that the whole collum moves up to you and a little bit above the original position , it means that there is more space available too ..especially for taller drivers with long legs, even if the GM type steeringwheel is still used.

Gunter, I am very interested in this mod because I put on the Elise airbag steering wheel, and it's great, but the steering wheel now blocks the top of the gauges and the indicator lights. If the steering column could be moved up slightly, that would solve the problem.

The Elise wheel really does give extra room, and it dresses up the interior nicely with the brushed aluminum dash I added at the same time.

Can you give more details about moving the steering column up on a V8? Where does the column get the room to go up? Or are you just tilting it up?

It would also be nice to move the steering wheel further away from the driver because the Elise wheel plus it's 1 inch thick adapter moves the wheel closer to the driver, which is not desired for tall people (I'm 6'1").

Thanks!

! Mention you have to know what you do, so that there is no case that the steering collumn falls of from the dash-support bar..!

on the front there are the welds for the top bracket that holds the steering , you can undo it and reshape it in a way that the bracket sits flat with the column and not 'on top' ..this gives you on the steeringwheel in the end some more hight. ..you can even cut/chop the so caled 'safety blocks/slide outs' ..those who have the specified nyloc pins to hold them in place ..this construction is meant as some sort of break-out or shear concept in case of a crash -so think about how far you want to go, and what is legal in your area in terms of *crash-safety* and national vehicle inspections. If you shop the slightly, or at least as far as the scuttlebeam/dash support alllowes until the column is in contact with the scuttle beam (as in opposite to the Elise the collum sits 'under scuttle beam' in the Esprit, whereas in the Elise it sits more 'on top' ..so there you would just add more shims to move it upwards.. .

on the rear end, where you can see the support braket *item 31* you can use this if required to cut your own support braked made from thicker material, as the actual spindle end on the steering shaft (where the lock-screw fits in across..) offers around 8mm more if you grind the fabricatet 'cut out' there on the end a little further down. So the lock-screw does still fit and the intermediate-shaft of the spindle that goes across the footwell still is secured by clamping, but the connection does sit more on the outer edge.

All in all this is more suitable for tall drivers who mainly have the problem with 'long legs' ..so that it is difficult to find a driving position without stresses on the knees, or to sit there in the car 'like a frog' (Italian seating..) -as it moves the steering wheel up and more to the driver ..on refit of the switch covers you will have an gap to the dash area of around 1.5cm visible ..but this can mostly get visualised from below or if you look directly from the sides ..so it does not actually look 'odd' (as for looking directly into the wiring from the ignition lock or so..)

..some visualisations

post-1463-0-01515100-1345455064.jpg

post-1463-0-89257500-1345459062.jpg

post-1463-0-59952500-1345459064.jpg

post-1463-0-34692700-1345459066.jpg

Edited by Günter