free hit
counters
Track rod ends - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprit s2

Track rod ends

Got my steering rack off again as I want to replace the track rod ends. Problem is I'm having a little difficulty removing them! Is it a case of just undoing the lock nut and then unscrewing the track rod end? The lock nut (if it is a lock nut!) just won't budge!!

DSC06258-1.jpg

Edited by esprit s2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yup just as you say. Looks like yours haven't been disturbed in ages so may take a little encouragement.

You've taken the whole rack out ?

Here it is off.

DSC00219.jpg

Its like its welded on! I might have to take it to a local garage and see if they can get it off for me.

Edited by esprit s2

It's simply two nuts tightened against each other so you need to use a fair amount of force to separate them.

As the rack is off the car you'll need a good quality vice to hold the track rod end tight & the correct size open ended spanner to fit the lock nut, then give the spanner a good belt with the persuader & it will yield. If you don't have a good enough vice to hold it tight temporarily fit the track rod end back onto the hub to hold it firm while you loosen the lock nut. :thumbsup:

If you're scrapping the track rod ends, you could try a little heat on the nuts, assuming you've already tried soaking in anti-seize fluid.

Two big hammers.

One face up, rest the face of the nut on that hammer then hit the opposite face of the nut with the other hammer, rotate to a new nut face and repeat. Once you've hit all three pairs of faces you'll probably find it moves.

Hi, just did mine on the Elite a couple of weeks ago, I put the lock nut in the vice and used a large pair of stilson's on the track rod ball joint, after giving them a good soak in plusgas. Have fun!!!!

John

Got them off finally the other day, did exactly as you did John.

Going to hope fully fit the steering rack and ARB this weekend, then when my new discs and front dampers are delivered I can set about rebuilding the front suspension.