free hit
counters
ESPRIT S2 - No front lights! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
madmax

ESPRIT S2 - No front lights!

I have a 1979 Esprit S2 which I'm trying to ready for the MOT.

The problem I have is that, although both headlamp pods rise and fall just as they should when I switch the binnacle mounted switch to ON or OFF, I can't get any light out of the headlamps, as if all four bulbs have gone (which I find unlikely)

If I flash BEAM when the pods are raised, I can hear a relay clicking but no flash from the lights even though the 'Beam' warning light on the dash comes on .

Both pods come up and go down ok and indicators, horn and rear lights work too - just NO HEADLIGHTS, dippped or main.

I've wiggled the relays behind the n/s headlight, I've even removed them one by one and cleaned all the pins. It's almost as if a single fuse has gone but there isn't a fuse that cover s both sets of lights as far as I can make out.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

try the switch, i had the same problem .it was the switch contacts

Me too, switch was bust - the contacts slowly melt back into the plastic over time and corrode, try cleaning up with electrical contact cleaner or replace it - try and get a geniuine lucas one from ebay and keep the original switch surround from your Esprit (you can push out the switch body from the frame) as the surround says "lights" on it and most of the replacement ones have a symbol instead...

When I use the switch, the lights pop up straight away and drop when I turn them off and so I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the switch was operating properly - if it feeds power to the lamp motors, surely it will be feeding power to the bulbs??

Perhaps I'm wrong and so I'll try to get a new switch.

Thank you

Simon

Nope, my switch would also operate the pods and then the lights would just turn off and the pods would stay up. they must use different terminals in the switch.

I've had various problems with the lights on my '79 S2. Nearly all of them revolved around the earth.

I'd check to see if there's an issue there.

Once it was at the pod end, and once at the dashboard end.

I should have spotted the obvious - blue with white trace wires caught up in the headlight lifting mechanism which has mashed all the wiring. I'm now left with the task of connecting them back up again although when I make what would appear to be the obvious connection, I still have NO HEADLIGHTS!!

Clearly these broken wires wont help matters but it may still be one of the switches as well as you chaps suggest.

I'm hopefully going to get a sparky to look at the circuits with an appropriate meter and then make the necessary changes

Can anyone tell me what the four relays operate just above the nearside headlight. There are three black ones and one red one and it looks as though the two left hand ones have the blue and white trace wires which will no doubt one day be connected to some working lights.

I'd love to be able to help you but without my car as reference at the moment I can't be a lot of help.

If you can, find a meter and do a little checking for yourself.

Best thing I found is found a proper earthing point on the car, and then touch each point of the switch contacts when the lights are supposed to be on to measure the volts flowing through.

If you are getting good 12v+ readings then do the same at the headlight end and see what happens.

I've not fully found out what the four relays are for yet - as I understand they are for the lift motors. Two for each pod, one for up and one for down.

If your wires were all mashed up, didn't you blew a fuse or two.

The wires could have grounded somewhere and thus blowing a fuse?

Good luck.

Process of illumination needed here. Check all your relays and replace with new if in any doubt (although if the relay was out I'm sure you wouldn't have the pods lift up), and make sure all bulbs are in good working order and all fuses. You obviously have a broken wire by the sounds of it (I had exactly the same issue only last week) checked all the relays and dip switch (which is brand new due to another headlight issue a few months back). Anyway found a disconnected wire, simply reconnected that and all lights are now working. When were the lights last working correctly?

Edited by CharlieCroker

Thanks again for your help

Car is only a recent acquisition and I knew that the headlights didn't work but (perhaps wrongly) assumed it would be a simple fuse matter as all four lamps didn't work. According to the manual the illumination of the headlights don't appear to be covered by a fuse and so I'm hoping to get an autoelectrician to do some fault finding as I've clearly found a problem with broken wires caught up in the lift mechanism for the pods.

I know so little about automotive electrics that I daren't tial and error the recconnection of the broken wires

MOT retest beckons so I'd better get sorted pdq

Thanks again

Simon

I know how stressful electrics can be, but stick with it because the feeling you'll get when you crack the problem will be a "eureka!" moment. All the best and good luck.

Electric diagrams are never easy but believe me the way these are made doesn't help.

I had a problem with a relay for idle bump with the A/C. I ended up with a photocopy and differents highlighters and a complete afternoon...

I do agree with Charlie, the time spend figuring it out is time well spend it gives you confidence.

Luc

Thanks guys for all your help and advice.

It would appear that the car has had an 'upgrade' to provide relays for main beam switching. Somewhere, buried in the dash was an in-line fuse hidden under the audio equipment. Fuse replaced and Bingo!!! - lights and subsequently a new MOT.

Now all we need is some decent weather to enjoy the cars in - fat chance!