free hit
counters
Engine Out - HGF - Page 4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
robington

Engine Out - HGF

Drain the coolant. A general rule of thumb is not to put coolant in until just before you fire the engine up as it has a habit of leaking past the head gasket.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Never had any problems with coolant leaking past the headgasket....if it was going to do it, I can't see that waiting until just before starting would make any difference, as long as all was correctly torqued up it should be sealed. Of course, it is in any evert one of the last things that gets done....

Leave the plenum off completely to set the timing, makes it a lot easier. Put it all back together for carb.adjusting, though.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Ok, thanks.

I will do it on Saturday now as I don't get time in the evenings. Another gallon of fuel just went in though!

http://youtu.be/h-uGVQ0Ba9c

:happy dance:

She Lives!!!

I know it’s just an engine running, but it’s made me happy.

I am really pleased with the way it sounds. So much tighter and smoother sounding than before and it just sits there purring away rather than shaking the whole car on tick over like before and the Oil pressure way over 50 psi. Happy days!       

The credit for such a quality engine rebuild goes to David Lisle (Changes) – Thanks again Dave. A superb job and it has transformed the car.  :respect:

I have only run it for a total of 5 mins, so it’s not even got hot yet. I run it a bit – check it – run it a bit  - check it and so on..

It also needs a bit of fettling to get it just right as it is not ticking over nicely and there is a little miss at about 3k revs .  I am not sure if its a timing or carbs issue but for a first time start after a rebuild I am happy with that. I don’t really have any kit or experience to sort this, so I will do a bit of reading and ask some questions once I have worked out what I think I need to do.

I am sure once I am brave enough to get it up to temperature there will be other things that need doing.

I can’t get reverse. All the other gears select ok. So is that a cross gate cable adjustment?

Check the oil level after the first few starts!

But thats great news! Looks great, really pleased for you. Gear-change Im sure a bit of tinkering will sort out that one easily enough!

Buddsy  :thumbsup:

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Great news!

It's a fantastic feeling when you've had an engine in bits and it fires for the first time

Well done, MOT next?

John

Well done Robin on getting the donkey all fitted up and running... :clap:

Next step is a bit of fettling on the Carb balance and timing, That should 

settle your tick over and allow you to leave it to run to temp. 

Nearly there now, if unsure on anything :scared:  bell me always here if needed  :coffee:

Keep  enjoying  the good work your doing.. :happy dance:

Dave

Sounds good to me! Misfire at 3000 rpm ...I had just that, turned out to be the slow running jets (which also cover up to when the main jets chime in) had got varnished up on the inside by the residue from evaporated fuel. They are on the small side for the engine anyway, and any reduction in internal diameter can cause just the sort of transitional misfire that shows up around 2,500 to 3,200 rpm. Once I got mine cleaned, all was well.....but it took the use of a piece of guitar string of the correct diameter through the jets to get the varnish out! I started out measuring loads of strings untikl I found one of the correct diameter, intending to use it as a gauge to check the jet diameter. When it wouldn't go through I persisted twiddling it until it did...after which the problem was solved. Took a lot of messing about to get to that point.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Thanks all for the encouragement and help along the way. The good news is that I backed it out of the garage and drove it back in under its own power, so now I know that the clutch, 1st gear and reverse gear works. :driving:

While it was outside I ran it up to temperature until the thermostat opened and the fans kicked in and it all seemed pretty good. Slightly lumpy, but its not been tuned up yet and I still need to get some air out of the cooling system.

I am beginning to think about booking it booked in for an MOT now :)

• Like 1