free hit
counters
FEEBLE COOLING FANS S2 ESPRIT - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
madmax

FEEBLE COOLING FANS S2 ESPRIT

The cooling fans on my 1979 S2 Esprit are not currently working properly as the engine comes up to temperature.

The usual suspect will perhaps be the otter switch which I could do with some advice on how to test if anyone knows.

I went under the front of the car to connect a 12v power supply directly to the fans to test them and although they both spin, they're extrmemly feeble and I don't think they'd draw enough air through the rad to cool it anyway.

Are there any recommended easy upgrades from either later cars or from people like Revotec or Kenlowe? The radiator appears to be fairly new but is very shallow top to bottom and the two identical fans have four vane metal blades about six inches in diameter with no shrouds around them. They look like original equipment and as such may be marginal if they worked properly.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

given the small size of the rad, i have heard people recomending using a fan from a motorcycle breakers

I replaced mine with 3 of of the fans from SJ Sportscars. Never overheated once after that!

I'm sure you can get the fans cheaper somewhere else though.

Hi Simon,

I only have 2 fans and no problems. Make sure the rad is in good condition. If it's silted up or the fins are knackered no amount of extra air is going to help the cooling. There should be a cowling around the rad that the fans are bolted to. I have the fans from SJ which were put on about 12-13 years ago and they may well be better than the originals. Mine have plastic fins. Otter switch is cheap and easy to replace if it's duff but iff the fans are coming on and just being feeble then that doesn't sound like your problem.

Pete

Hi Simon

If they are spinning slowly off your 12v power supply, could it be a bad earth?

I recently took the fans off mine and noticed the earth terminals from the fans, bolted to the metal cowling fixing were pretty rusted, so I cleaned them up and replaced the bolts.

I tested my otter switch by dropping the switch into boiled water (carefully) and using a meter to see if it switched. That confirmed it's failure and a new otter switch got the fans working again.

Rob.

Thanks chaps

Got the fans running well today by connecting directly to a 12v battery and they seem to pull some air through well. I suspect the otter switch may be faulty now as the wiring appears intact and, as I say they actually run ok if I bypass the rest of the system. Ordered a new switch from SJ and so if that doesn't fix things, I'll have to get an auto electro techy out

Thanks again for the advice and help

Simon

Wired them directly to a 12v car battery and they spooled up perfectly fine. Now all I need is for them to kick in as the car gets warmer. Have ordered a new Otter switch from SJ and if it's not that, I don't know what it will be

Thanks for you help again so far

Simon