free hit
counters
From S3 Turbo look a like back to a S2 - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Finlandese

From S3 Turbo look a like back to a S2

1 hour ago, Buddsy said:

I think plated bolts are better than stainless. Stainless doesnt corrode but they do bind like a bitch and usually need to be drilled out. My car was standing for 15 years and all the bolts were rusty but were easy to remove. The number of stainless bolts I have to drill out for people. 

buddsy

Just about every plated bolt on my car was rusted to absolute buggery and very difficult to remove, a lot had to be drilled out. This annoyed me so much that I have now replaced everything with titanium. According to what I've read greasing with a good quality molybdenum disulfide should prevent any galling issues.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A picture of the gap between the fuel tank and the body, that the hand brake cables have to travel through. Pretty tight, eh? More evidence of the progress with the brake booster and the clytch master cylinder. Todays tasks have been sanding the dash (and replastering), Dismantling the boot latch mechanism (ordered lhd parts from SJ´s), hooked up throttle and choke cables (and ordered a new choke cable.. ). Ordered a km/h speedo and chrome instrument rings for the gauges (not original, but will look great!)

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

21 hours ago, Freemason said:

Nice work! Are you going for an all black interior?

Jep, all black leather, with chrome instrument dial rings, as in this Esprit:

http://www.freewebs.com/lotusespritfever/apps/photos/photo?photoid=16329340

Small details make difference. Something original and something with a twist. Speakerholes on the doorcard leather and chrome rings on the gauges.

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

• Like 1

Installed the parking brake cables to the LHD configuration. Routed the cables over the fuel tank mount, unlike the PO who had jammed them between the body and the fuel tank. Still remebering the task of getting them off from the right side...

Then removed deadwood from the firewall plywood and cut replacement pieces to fill the holes. Working with wood gave flashbacks from last years sauna renovation! 😄

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

Edited by Finlandese

Great work Jani,   Although on the plywwood this is normally repaired in full sections,  I have never seen small sections replaced as it is suposed to be an itegral part of the esprits body design.   I would suggest screwing some alloy sheet 2 or 3mm think overlapping that repair to add sterngh.  Also the Ply is always fiberglassed over, so make sure you put plenty of extra mat and resin over that area imo. :thumbup:

Thanks for the comment, Dan.

I am planning to fuse the small section chemically to the main section and to the body. 

• Like 1

New leather for the dash top. Thanks to slewthty for his blog about this task. 

22DF23A4-CAB6-4E40-AB1A-2381B06BEA14.jpeg

• Like 1

One way to transfer the parking brake to the left side. Test fitting before attaching it to the sill.

0DBA85D6-ED33-4473-8EE6-930B878F3410.jpeg

• Like 1

Part of a server rack?

Not quite.. 2mm steel, that will be bonded and screwed to the sill and bolted through the sill in to the lower seat belt bolt mounting plate, that was replaced with a new part when the car was converted back to S2 spec (from the Turbo look). The mounting plate was built with the eventual LHD conversion in mind. 

Parking brake is now working and the trunk mechanism has been changed to LHD spec. Still need to fix the striker from the rear hatch. Started to install the noise suppression material. Should I put two layers on the firewall and more importantly, will the itching ever end?

IMG_1985.jpg

Edited by Finlandese

Hello Jani,

I suggest you load up on the firewall (bulkhead) as the factory had done so originally. You may wish to try alternating layers of the dampening mat with foam sheeting in order to de-couple the sound transmission paths. Careful how thick you make it on the tunnel sides as too much can conflict with seat travel if using stock seat and rails. 

Cheers

Thank you for your comment. In any case the new set up should be a vast improvent over the old, as the firewall used to have two big (speaker?) holes and the sound deadning was loose. The floor had multiple extra holes and no sound deadning at all. Just loose carpets from who knows where. 

I'll probably start with two layers of dampening mat on the firewall and see how that works. If not happy, then will add foam.

Edited by Finlandese

What a difference...

4BD02042-F6C4-4D91-BA6C-4916EE60EF42.jpeg

A cleaning and a chrome rings make..

6FED019C-0740-4F27-91A1-5118026B2674.jpeg

• Like 2

I think I'm starting to know what Capt. Willard thought when he started his trip to the heart of darkness.

The horror, the horror...

A3559299-0C8E-4035-B8D3-635FE3902254.jpeg