free hit
counters
Simple giude to charge cool impellor change - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nigeninja

Simple giude to charge cool impellor change

Various people give you various ways,this IMO is the way to go,cos ive just done it :lol:

1/Filter box off completley, just gives you loads more room

2/ Oil filter off,to be re used again, loads of sharp in takes of breath just happened when I said re use,just ignore them.

3/ 10mm ring spanner, the shortest one you can find to undo the one nut holding the pump in.

4/ Take off one hose from the charge cooler to the pump block up hose to save water all over floor,I stuffed a rubber glove down it (see pic) ,leaving both hose's connected to pump

5/ one hand on pump one on hose you have just disconnected, pull pump out of housing and swing out to right

6/ take off the other hose on the pump end,again stuffed hose with other glove to save water spill.

7/ pull pump clear of car with one hose still connected,take pic of pump and shaft do not turn before picture(see pic)

8/ undo the three 7mm bolts holding the housing cover to reveal a damaged impellor.

Refer to manual for correct position of impellor,i also replaced both seals in side the pump,and of course the gasket.

Putting back the pump was the hardest part,I took a pic as soon as I got it out so I could check the position of the shaft,cos trying line it up is impossible unless you have an idea of the postion the shaft was when you took it out.

The Changes and Sparky's of this world will find this usless but to the people out there who have never touch there cars apart from an oil change might find it usefull(thats just described me),well i would have done :lol::shuriken:

post-9255-0-08683900-1343478152.jpg

post-9255-0-56102400-1343480029.jpg

post-9255-0-63753800-1343480086.jpg

post-9255-0-62704500-1343480159.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nige im so.proud....... Brings a tear to me eye knowing uve done this work! But seriously a usefull no nonsense quick fire guide. I know a lot of owners, myself included, would recomend scrapping the impeller and going electric, but your esprit is an immaculate as original car. Good stuff!

Well done that man...you have successfully graduated from polish to spanners...

All down hill from here on. (but watch out for the pot holes)

Nice post, thanks very much.

Although I used to take engines apart 30 years ago, company cars since then make you lazy/forget.

Just one question. Why did you replace it ? What were the symptoms ?

It's a service item, they are meant to be replaced as part of the C service or every 18,000 miles (iirc).

Nice post, thanks very much.

Although I used to take engines apart 30 years ago, company cars since then make you lazy/forget.

Just one question. Why did you replace it ? What were the symptoms ?

Erik every one kept saying the charge cooler should be cold to touch after a run,mine never was.

So enter Changes aka Dave,I finally got the chance for him to have a quick look,he whipped of one of the hoses to the charge cooler and started the car up and no water what so ever came from the hose.

He also gave another way to check which I like cos it means not disturbing anything,from cold start up the car and then undo the big nut on the charge cooler and if the pump is running you can see the water swirling around inside the cooler.

Thanks Darren :hrhr: and Dave I would still rather polish :shuriken:

A non-working pump is costing you about 50bhp! Go electric, it's the best way :D

I have a complet chargecooler mecanic pump like new (And another rotor also new) to gift !

If any is interested, only the shipment from Spain must be payed.

Feijucho.