free hit
counters
Bonnet latches - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
EliteEV

Bonnet latches

I'm nearing completion of my S1 (just got it painted), and am sorting out the last few bits. I currently unlatch the bonnet by pulling on two short cables on the inside; these are attached to the latch levers through holes in the firewall. I feel certain this was not the original setup, and that both were probably activated by one lever. I would appreciate an explanation from someone on exactly how the original system worked. Thanks.

Scott

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Scott,

One handle mounted on the inside of the right hand door mounting plate, this pulls two cables, one short one to the right hand catch and a long one that goes behind the heater to the left hand catch.

I can probably take a couple pf photos later.

Thanks, Paul. Photos would be much appreciated. There are probably pullys involved, too. I have none of the hardware for the cables.

No pulleys involved, the cables are just bicycle brake type cables with an inner cable and outer sheath. they go through the bulkhead to the bonnet catches and return to a simple folded metal bracket bolted to the door plate with a flat metal lever pivoted at the top pulling on the two cable ends, simples!

Guest saraphee

Hi Scott,

When I got to this stage of the restoration I became manic about snapped cables. I fitted rather nice Japanese release handles on both the off & nearside mounting plates and ran dual cables - thats two from the left side of the car and two from the right. so if one fails I can (hopefully) still open the bonnet from the side.

Not content with that I did the same in the boot/trunk. The release handles bit was easy - modifying the brackets for the tailgate lock assembly was a little more fun but do-able.

A side benefit is that the Japanese handles look rather better than the original factory lash-ups.

The system works - I hope it will continue to do so if ever I have a cable failure.

Thanks for the replies, Paul and Rex. That's exactly the information I needed.

I agree with the dual cable approach. I did something similar with the tailgate by adding a solenoid to the stock manual release, and also have solenoids to open the doors. Removing the door handles is one of the slight modifications I made to the body. Sorry to you purists, but I really didn't like the looks of the handles, and the actuating mechanism was all bunged up. Once I get the trim back on I'll post some pictures in case you are interested.

Guest saraphee

WOW _ Solenoids, Why didn't I think of that! the nearest I've got to that is to fit a remote locking kit to the doors.

I look forward to a side on view of the body - and an interior shot of the boot to show how you did it.

Get that trim back on asap....................

That sounds very handy i would like to see pics as well.

Clive

Here's a picture of the release mechanisms in the boot. I've made a cover that goes over the lever on the floor, to protect it. Carpet will be installed soon.

The window trim is off getting anodized after I stripped the parts, fixed the dents, sanded out the scratches, and polished them. They should be done next week, after which I'll post pictures of the body. I would have liked to have refurbished the roof and windscreen trim, but getting them off and on again seemed too daunting. They will have to do.

post-10170-0-16024000-1343794730.jpg

OK, I've posted some pictures in the "Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat" picture thread, and a few more at higher resolution in the gallery section.

Rex, do you recall which Japanese car you got the bonnet release lever from? Maybe an older Z car?

Scott

Guest saraphee

Sorry Scott,

But I picked 4 of them up from a breakers yard. Here everything is dismantled before being offered for sale and put out on pallets, shelves or bins - no getting dirty messing around.

They were 4 matching pulls 2 for the bonnet, 2 for the tailgate and they were in the Honda section. I wasn't concerned about which Honda, just that there were 4 of them and they looked pretty smart.

Can't post a pic - TFC is currently undergoing a session at the mechanics.

To (maybe) finish this topic, attached is a picture of what I settled on for my bonnet release. It is from and XJ-6; the dual release cables are the only ones I could find in my local wrecking yard that would fit the bill. A couple aluminum bars tie this into the existing mounts on my LHD Elite, and the cables fit perfectly. Very easy to release with the door closed and window open.

Scott