free hit
counters
New Old Stock Coopers head gasket -- would you use it? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tony K

New Old Stock Coopers head gasket -- would you use it?

Greetings all,

I have a couple of new old stock Coopers head gaskets for the 907. And I will be needing a head gasket for my own car (355H) shortly. These NOS gaskets look good (clean, like new, have been wrapped up in a box, away from the elements), but they are more than twenty years old. Simple question: Would you use them?

Thanks,

Tony :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Without knowing the manufacturing process and the compounds used in the gasket, I can't say. If you're unsure, what's a new gasket worth versus a potential HGF?

Which, of course, may or may not happen.

Probably no worse than when they were new but, my answer to the question asked is "No", they moved from those to the later gaskets for a reason and it wasn't to reduce costs, so I'd go for the newer type if it were me. yes, it may be £100 (for both) additional cost but if it fails sooner think of all the work involved.

Agreed. I wouldn't.

Interesting topic, and one I've deliberated long and hard during my engine rebuild.

Do I fit a Coopers (as they've never given me a problem in 25 years of Lotus ownership), or do I fit a Goetz (when I've heard of many people having problems - such as weeping when cold)?

I actually bought one of each, but in the end sacrificed the Coopers when I temporarily fiited the head while the liner sealant cured.

I would've fitted the Coopers for the final build without concern.

But even when I fit the Goetz, I'll still the mating surfaces a good coat of Wellseal, as I would've done with the Coopers.

Paul -- you read my mind: Love the Coopers, had mixed experiences with the Goetz. I think I will go with Goetz + Wellseal. Whatever you do, don't ever use the crap gasket that looks like the Goetz but has silver rings, a copper oil hole, and no perimeter bead (will post photos in my 355H thread) -- whatever gasket that is, it lasted all of a few hundred miles. :(

- T

Tony - agree, I would only use a Coopers or a Goetz.

I've also heard of people having problems with Cometic HG's

If it has the rubber as opposed to the copper sealing ring for the oil passage.

Best,

Jeff