free hit
counters
Speedometer issue - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Speedometer issue

asesso

I just got my 86 turbo Esprit and so far I am pleased. I have an oil light going off and on but the pressure gauge is reading very good. My speedometer jumps around like crazy however and I suspect an electrical issue? My hazard, backup lights and fog lights also are not working. Headlights and tail lights work fine. Any thoughts on where to start?

Art

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe all the Giugiaro cars use a mechanical speedo. In my S2 there is a right angle drive attached to the transaxle and the square peg cable end got mangled where it inserts into the plastic gear on the short stub cable when I had identical symptoms. I cut my short cable back just a little and filed it square again and reinserted it (I believe I had to trim the outer cable sheath an equal amount too). One could also purchase a new one of the shorter cables ) Mind you, this is all from a distant memory and you will have to take this with a grain of salt, but you can disconnect the angle drive and remove the short cable from the transaxle (forget how it removes) and then inspect that the cable end is still square. I think I also isolated it to the short cable by attaching an electric drill to the angle drive and front cable section and observed the speedo was moving smoothly as the drill speed increased (going in the correct direction), so it had to be in the short cable back to the transaxle section.

Good luck. -Bob

Edited by comem47

The speedo cable connects to the angle drive with a knurled nut that should be able to be loosened by hand.

If the speedo itself proves to be bad, I know a guy in Atlanta who does excellent work on old-school instruments like these. He serviced my Esprit's speedo when the odometer stopped working.

For the reverse light, check the terminals that connect to the switch on the transmission. The switch is located on the rear face of the housing, easily accessible from under the car's back end. Mine were loose and kept falling off until I tightened the female terminals.

As for the hazard lights, this could be trickier. If you've already made sure that the relevant fuses are good, two possible culprits are the switch and the flasher unit. Is there any problem with the run signals? The way this car is wired, the hazard switch is essentially an A-B selector, routing power either to the turn signals or to the hazard signals via the flasher. My switch broke but I was able to salvage turn signal function by re-assembling it 'just so' so that the internal contacts kept the power going to the turn signals. I did this because replacement switches are not available, or at least were not last year when I checked around. A Triumph TR7 or a TVR 280i use a switch that looks the same, but the TR7 switch only has six pins vs 7 on the Esprit item. Not sure what the functional difference is, nor do I know what differences exist with the TVR item. The only other vehicles I know of that used the same family of switches were some DAF commercial trucks from the 1970s.

The flasher unit is not easy to get either, but I hear that it's available from our US suppliers for around $100. Mine might be broken right now so I'm looking into a lower-cost alternative, however I have not yet ascertained how to test the circuit in order to determine whether or not the flasher unit is the problem. As you're probably guessing by now, not very many vehicles use this same flasher unit. Why oh WHY did Lotus use so bloody many obscure parts in the Esprit???

Edited by The Veg

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

I think the flasher unit is the same as that fitted to the original Mini and the Morris 1000....at least, I replaced mine with one that started out in a Morris 1000 and had been in my neighbour's grot box for years!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

If the speedo itself proves to be bad, I know a guy in Atlanta who does excellent work on old-school instruments like these.  He serviced my Esprit's speedo when the odometer stopped working.

Imwasmreading this could you send info to me

Thank so much