free hit
counters
Raidiator Stays - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
rogerch

Raidiator Stays

DSC_6721.jpg

Broke ! When I first bought the car one was broken, I fixed it (welded) broke again. I had 2 new ones made, during the rebuild, 2 years ago, busted again.

I've seen many photos of Esprits without these stays, so how important are they, the bolts retaining them have obviously been in contact with Terra firma

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The radiator duct et al weight quite a bit and without the stay will act to lever against the upper fixings so I think the stay is important. From the chargecooler models onwards the stay became V shaped and fixed to the chassis in two places so it may be worth copying that concept to reduce the amount of flexing the broken bracket seems to have suffered.

Mine were broken in the same place (86 G car) so there must be plenty of flexing, therefore they must be important. I remade mine from ali tubing but pics of the stiffer arrangement would be good for the future.

The radiator duct et al weight quite a bit and without the stay will act to lever against the upper fixings so I think the stay is important. From the chargecooler models onwards the stay became V shaped and fixed to the chassis in two places so it may be worth copying that concept to reduce the amount of flexing the broken bracket seems to have suffered.

As sailorbob said but also, without the stays you can/will get stress cracks in the body over the front wheel arch area as this is where the body work is relatively shallow.

Hope this helps,

Ged

Oh, OK, I've already got them both off and car's already under raps.

I having further eye surgery on Monday, so I won't be driving for a month or so, so plenty of time to get a couple of new ones made, having just reminded myself there is a left and right, I'll go for something tougher than alloy this time. :devil:

Steel pipe, hacksawed to length, ends squished in your 10 tonne press and voila ! I have some ally plates bolted onto the fibreglass duct where the stays join to give it some more strength due to cracks appearing.

DSC_7036.jpg

Ok, first one done, yes it's flat bar, my reasoning being, if you put a 90 degree twist in the bar it eliminates flexing in any direction.

I'm interested in comments, I'm still not driving due to eyesight complications, but hopefully these will last.

But, surely because it is a flat bar, twisted, it will be able to flex in any direction?

Perhaps if the opposite bar is twisted in the other direction, some of the flexibility will be countered?