free hit
counters
AC expansion valve - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
internets

AC expansion valve

Does anyone know where I can get an expansion valve for a '98 GT3, it appears the earlier R12 cars used one from a 76-83 BMW 320 but does anyone know if the later R134a cars used the same one. I know the V8 is different from the parts manual but unfortunately my copy does not show the set-up for the 4 cylinder cars...anyone have that page by any chance?

Also was thinking of replacing the receiver drier, I have the version with a sight glass built in for R134a, anyone have any part numbers or links?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The reciever dryer cqn be replaced with a universal type, just swap the end fittings and switch over, I got my expansion valve off ebay, a bmw part. Im using r134a in my system which was originally an r12. I fitted new type ports for filling and draining the system at the rear too.

Chris,

What does yours look like? If it looks like this it's the same as the earlier cars as all the other 4 cyl cars are the same

since the mid 80's or so.

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-38604-Expansion-Valve/dp/B000C2Q3O8

If it looks like a square block, it's the later type.

Jim

Thanks Darren, will take a look but was hoping to get OEM..its a Sanden part so must be fairly common,,,or not.

Jim, TBH not even looked where it is as yet. I am assuming (!) that it is not the square block later type as that's only listed for the V8. Do you have the parts diagram for the 4 cylinder by any chance?

Thanks guys

The Sanden receiver dryer

post-1877-611164_thumb.jpg

Edited by internets

Confirmed the expansion valve on the later 4 pot (NOT V8) R134a cars is the same as the earlier R12 cars, thanks Jim saved me nearly £50 off the Lotus price :)

Now to track down that pesky Sanden receiver drier, anyone know an air con spares place in the UK?? :)

**Posted from my Apple device using the <a href="http://itunes.apple....97645?mt=8">IPB app</a>**

post-1877-461102_thumb.jpg

Edited by internets

Well if.you cant find it...a standard unit will.do the job the same.i ordered mine from sj thinking it would be genuine or special...however its the same...exactly the same as the ones advertised on ebay...at a fraction of the cost. Ill get mine from there next time..

Funnily enough was talking to PNM and he said don't buy the Lotus one, go to an AC supplier and buy it for half the cost!

Out of intrest which one did you fit Darren? Was it a straight swap? Thanks

Sorry for the delay in replying! I bought mine from sj originally...at silly price thinking it was original or better...but in comparison...as I like to collect service item spares...the ebay unit last year was the same. Straight swap, just resused the hose end adapters...honestly save yourself a lot of money and have the non branded item...so long as it looks the same, ie sight window, threaded hole for the switch and two ends for the hoses to connect...