free hit
counters
Dip stick - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
asesso

Dip stick

I have a 1986 Lotus esprit that has it's oil level light constantly on. I am told that this is controlled by a sensor connected to the dipstick

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have a 1986 Lotus esprit that has it's oil level light constantly on. I am told that this is controlled by a sensor connected to the dipstick. My dipstick must have been relaxed because it has no such wire. Are there any sources for the correct dipstick

Art

Oil level light? Maybe it's a Federal thing but mine only have oil pressure lights. Those are run from a sender unit which is screwed into a small aluminium casting, located at the flywheel end of the engine, underneath the carb area of cylinders 3 & 4, approximately the same height as the oil filter.

This is a special dipstick that has a wire running from the top of the stick to the wiring harness. It apparently was a one year option 1986. It is pictured in the owners manual for this year and it described how to disconnect the device to remove the dipstick. My original dipstick must have been replaced and now the dipstick level light is always on even though the oil pressure gauge reads normal

Art

Can you find where it would have joined the harness? Also, the wiring diagram will tell you if you just need to earth the connection to extinguish the light.

I have the connection point on the harness but I would like to return the car to it's original working condition

Art

One year option, good luck finding the part but I do understand you wanting to keep it original.

So you have a standard dipstick installed right now? Or is it what's left of the original? If it's the original, post a picture, it might give ideas to some of us...

I guess I'm glad they didn't put the gizmo on in 1987...

Luc

The current dipstick looks like an original Esprit but not the correct one for an 86. I have attached the picture from the 86 manualpost-14771-0-27668400-1344423524.jpg

Edited by asesso

Lotus declared the part obsolete in 2007 and dropped it but I think I may have found one from someone on the site

Art

Thanks for posting what it looks like.

I haven't looked at the schematic yet but I'd be tempted to jump the connector just to see if your light comes off.

I know you want to really fix it but then again just curious to see if the system is looking for a resistance or a ground or whatever...

Can't somebody at Lotus (not in the States for sure) find out from what other car the part comes from? Iknow this can't be easy.

Luc

Edited by Mesprit87

I can vouch that LCU don't really know much about the special dip-stick. It was a mystery in a friend's car for a while.

Where is the oil level light located?

The light is located in the center of the instrument panel towards the bottom

Art

I was contacted by someone who stated he had the dipstick, he sent his name and address and I transferd the money he requested. It looks now like I was scammed ! I guess I am still in the market for the dipstick

Art

With thanks to the hugely clever and resourceful Brian Angus @ Lotus Cars - This was hard work to dig up info on.

The Part was supplied to Lotus by VDO (Germany) - VDO Part No. 365/864/002/005

The Dipstick was produced for Ford.

It was used on the 2.0 Litre Pinto Engine

Think it was used on Sierra XR4i etc.

Ford Part Number 83 BB 10K 886

It was modified by Lotus for use on the Esprit.

The Modification changed the MIN Level Mark to 12.5 mm below the MAX Mark (Ford had a lower MIN Level - circa 18 mm)

Brian has been a superb friend to TLF for 8 years and worked at Lotus for well over 30 - He's Mr Esprit himself :thumbup:

I was contacted by someone who stated he had the dipstick, he sent his name and address and I transferd the money he requested. It looks now like I was scammed ! I guess I am still in the market for the dipstick

Art

There's always a lowlife out there isn't there? :2guns:

This is very helpful. Thanks to everyone for the information. I will get back on the trail of trying to track one down

Art

I have located a Ford dipstick on EBay which appears to look just like the diagram posted. The length of that dipstick is 36mm. Is that correct for the Lotus?

Art