free hit
counters
Dip stick - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Dip stick

asesso

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a 1986 Lotus esprit that has it's oil level light constantly on. I am told that this is controlled by a sensor connected to the dipstick. My dipstick must have been relaxed because it has no such wire. Are there any sources for the correct dipstick

Art

Oil level light? Maybe it's a Federal thing but mine only have oil pressure lights. Those are run from a sender unit which is screwed into a small aluminium casting, located at the flywheel end of the engine, underneath the carb area of cylinders 3 & 4, approximately the same height as the oil filter.

This is a special dipstick that has a wire running from the top of the stick to the wiring harness. It apparently was a one year option 1986. It is pictured in the owners manual for this year and it described how to disconnect the device to remove the dipstick. My original dipstick must have been replaced and now the dipstick level light is always on even though the oil pressure gauge reads normal

Art

Can you find where it would have joined the harness? Also, the wiring diagram will tell you if you just need to earth the connection to extinguish the light.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

One year option, good luck finding the part but I do understand you wanting to keep it original.

So you have a standard dipstick installed right now? Or is it what's left of the original? If it's the original, post a picture, it might give ideas to some of us...

I guess I'm glad they didn't put the gizmo on in 1987...

Luc

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

Thanks for posting what it looks like.

I haven't looked at the schematic yet but I'd be tempted to jump the connector just to see if your light comes off.

I know you want to really fix it but then again just curious to see if the system is looking for a resistance or a ground or whatever...

Can't somebody at Lotus (not in the States for sure) find out from what other car the part comes from? Iknow this can't be easy.

Luc

Edited by Mesprit87

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

I can vouch that LCU don't really know much about the special dip-stick. It was a mystery in a friend's car for a while.

Where is the oil level light located?

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

I was contacted by someone who stated he had the dipstick, he sent his name and address and I transferd the money he requested. It looks now like I was scammed ! I guess I am still in the market for the dipstick

Art

With thanks to the hugely clever and resourceful Brian Angus @ Lotus Cars - This was hard work to dig up info on.

The Part was supplied to Lotus by VDO (Germany) - VDO Part No. 365/864/002/005

The Dipstick was produced for Ford.

It was used on the 2.0 Litre Pinto Engine

Think it was used on Sierra XR4i etc.

Ford Part Number 83 BB 10K 886

It was modified by Lotus for use on the Esprit.

The Modification changed the MIN Level Mark to 12.5 mm below the MAX Mark (Ford had a lower MIN Level - circa 18 mm)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Brian has been a superb friend to TLF for 8 years and worked at Lotus for well over 30 - He's Mr Esprit himself :thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I was contacted by someone who stated he had the dipstick, he sent his name and address and I transferd the money he requested. It looks now like I was scammed ! I guess I am still in the market for the dipstick

Art

There's always a lowlife out there isn't there? :2guns:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• 2 weeks later...

Evora NA