free hit
counters
New discs, pads and calipers, loads of copper grease, but... - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
CharlieCroker

New discs, pads and calipers, loads of copper grease, but...

...still bloody embarrassing brake squeal! Doing my head in, will the pads and discs bed in to ease the squeal, so embarrassing, cars all painted and looks the shiz but is let down now by he bloody brake squeal! ANy help welcome, Charlie :-)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

have you fitted the anti squeal shims

Try chamfering the leading edges of the pads.....this often helps.

I must admit, I've always been puzzled by brake squeal. Mine generally doesn't squeal and I'm running well bed in pads, but every once in awhile when braking at lights or when some numpty pulls out in front of you, I get brake squeal.

Can never put it down to anything in particular. Hope you can find the source of your issue. :detective:

have you fitted the anti squeal shims

Didn't have any when I took the old pads out, and the old setup never squealed! Doing my head it, think I have to wait till it all beds in?

Try chamfering the leading edges of the pads.....this often helps.

Will give this a try, thanks.

Sometimes you'll be stuck with it for the life of those pads, just a combination of pad material, discs etc.

Sometimes you'll be stuck with it for the life of those pads, just a combination of pad material, discs etc.

To be honest I opted for the green stuff fast road pads, wish I stuck with standard pads now :-(

You really didn't want to me put "Ah" in a knowing tone did you?

Allegedly greenstuff used to be good but then changed its material composition and now isn't so good, but I cannot say I've compared them, I can say I have a set of used Greenstuff pads sitting on a shelf after lass than 30 miles use as i opted for a cheaper brand.

It might be worth some universal anti-squeal shims (try eBay) or the ceratec anti-squeal lube, although by the ime you've purchased both of those it may be a fair way towards another set of pads form a different manufacturer.

FRICTION ..........Therein lies the problem !

When two surfaces mate ,can be the most complex of issues but made simple as follows;

1.incompatibility of pad makeup /disc

2.incorrect cleaning/preparation of surface/s ......the disc must be cleaned ,cleaned and cleaned again with a non -oil based product.

3.bedding in of the surfaces - tendency is to push the brakes as hard as possible and heat up so that it is functional ......bad practice ...the bonding resin rises to the surface and creates a shiny hard surface and now you have a "bell" syndrome.

These are the primary causes of "ringing " brakes

The copper grease is no good !

Thanks for your help guys, I'll give these green pads the benefit of doubt and let them bed in as they cost me a pretty penny, if the problem persists I'll purchase some standard pads at a later date. Cheers Charlie :-)

Seems to be easing now as the pads are bedding in, hopefully all squeals will go in the coming months, thanks for everyone's advice, Charlie.