free hit
counters
High pressure power steering pipe - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Does anyone know of a source for buying a replacement, from my initial investigations it would appear this is no longer available. If not I am thinking of getting a patern sorted to make one up for my car and perhaps have the pattern kept so further replacements can be obtained or even get a few made.

It is part number A082H4056F

Edited by B1 RMA

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The flanges on the ends are compicated. I seem to rememebr they are 'saginaw' flares.

Tyou can buy adaptors to fit flexi hoses, have a search for it.

16mmoringfitting.jpg

Edited by Rich H

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

I've been in touch with the local Pirtek outlet who say they can make them up in an hour or two I will now give them a call to see if this may present a problem thanks for the advice.

Can't check part no's on my mobile at present, but if this is the main steel pipe which runs from front too rear, then i'd be interested

The flanges on the ends are compicated. I seem to rememebr they are 'saginaw' flares.

Tyou can buy adaptors to fit flexi hoses, have a search for it.

16mmoringfitting.jpg

On the diagram it looks like there are just two female collars are they a different type of thread or could the ends be taken off and re-used for the new pipe before the flange is formed?

Steve I'll wait to see but its the high pressure pipe from resevoir to rack. There will have to be a union in the one I will have made up because someone did a crap patch job on the existing one on mine.

The problem is the swage/flare on the pipe is complicated as it's specific to the saginaw fittings; it's a very weird shape with a rubber seal. I gave up and reused my old pipe in the end. That piccy was just the first one I could find to illustrate the problem.

Rich

So would you not be able to salvage the old fittings from the old pipe if they proved to be unobtainable? I haven't had the chance to check out the end fittings yet as to whether they are male or female as the picture on the parts listing does look like a female collar.

they are flared onto the end of the pipe.

The fitting is just a threaded collar around the pipe, the seal is formed by the shape of the end of the pipe.

Will search for my old post on the subject...

Hi,

I replaced this pipe on my S4s. I got Pirtec to make me up a stainless steel braided line from the front of the car to the connection joint just under the pump. Worked a treat and only cost 40 euro. I think the pipe from Lotus was 120 pounds.

Cheers

Dave

I don't suppose they kept the pattern did they? Either way I will probably get a spare made as it could be a frig to source when you need one. If anyone is interested in buying themselves a spare let me know and I'll order some additional ones.

I removed the short pipe that runs from the steering rack and Pirtek put a standard fitting on the existing hard pipe. This allowed them to build me a standard length of SS braided pipe in about 15minutes. I fiited it to the car using the original mounting points on the frame but with larger P clips. Another plus point is that it will never rust!

Cheers

DAve

David, i just got home & googled the part No and sj sportscars seem to have the pipes listed. Don't remember finding this 6 months or so ago when i did a cursory search, back then everywhere was listing it as obsolete.

Might be worth calling them tomorrow

http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/index.php?mod=10&car=13&section=8

i tried phoning several times late this afternoon, but kept getting answerphone. Will try again tomorrow

I have just spoken to sj sportscars and can confirm that they are now selling all power steering pipes for 93 onwards cars.

They have had large quantities made in nickel coated steel and everything is in stock ready to go. :-)

If any mods read this, you may want to place post in a more relevant section.

Have you checked direct with Lotus? Its a good few years ago (5?) but mine went and I could not find a replacement and they kindly made another batch.