free hit
counters
Anyone used QED 'lotus grey' engine paint? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
vintaylor

Anyone used QED 'lotus grey' engine paint?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at painting my engine in the coming weeks. Has anyone used QED paint, it is listed as 'lotus grey'. I was thinking of buying POR15 but the postage alone is £40 to Malta!

grey-engine-paint-tin.jpg

Thanks Guys :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That's the colour the original Lotus Twin Cam engines were painted with, not the 900 series.

Having said that they've been selling it for years & many Elan & Europa restorers have repainted their engines with it.

hmm.. on the site it was listed under the 900 series engines. Would anyone recommend another good paint I could get my hands on? Since frost is the only supplier I'm very limited with choice.

Aren't the 900 series left bare aluminum, If so, why paint it??

If you must paint it, silver Hamerite which is available in all hardware stores would be a good choice, I painted a cylinder head with that once & it looked good & wore well. :thumbsup:

I've done a bit of research online and there's a lot of negative feedback on hammerite. Don't think that Hammerite is heat resistant though.

The reason behind painting it is that although cleaning it helps, there are still quite a few stains from oxidisation that I'd want to cover up

Hi Vin,

every paint you will use with no primer aren't a good choice IMHO.

Engine is alloy and it needs a special primer base for alloy, buy some epoxy two pack primer and silver and the job will last for 10 years...

Ciao

Giorgio

Graham Arnold, ex-Lotus and latterly the late Head Honcho of Club Lotus, used to say that they would send an apprentice to Woolworths to buy whatever paint was going cheap....there was no "standard Lotus engine paint"!!

Hi Vin,

every paint you will use with no primer aren't a good choice IMHO.

Engine is alloy and it needs a special primer base for alloy, buy some epoxy two pack primer and silver and the job will last for 10 years...

Ciao

Giorgio

Hi Giorgio,

Only problem is I don't have a compressor and air gun. Was hoping to get something that I can brush on.

You can brush the epoxy two pack paint, just a little bit more of thinner and a fast hand! :D

Giorgio

Thanks Giorgio, will see what I can get my hands on :)