free hit
counters
Balance and tune - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
makkyh

Balance and tune

I have read a few threads on this and even have an idiots guide from the internet.

I have removed, cleaned and serviced the carbs with the kit from Lotus bits.

The engine is running well apart from a flat spot when picking up. I dont think my srewdriver and I have the qualifiations to perfect the tuning and balance.

Does anyone know of a mobile tuner(remember Home Tune) or someone with expertise in the South London/North Kent area.

Thanks,

Rick

Edited by makkyh

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Rick

I have a similar lack of qualification on carbs as yourself, but given you have replaced the accelerator pump diaphragms, I seem to remember that the most commonly written about cause of the pickup problem is that the lever arms under the carbs are not set correctly. They should have a very small gap with out the accelerator pressed. As I understand it, if the gap is too large, if gives a delay before the pump kicks in, it there is no gap, then the volume of acceleration petrol is reduced.

Away, might be worth Googling and having a fiddle on a sunny Sunday.

Herc.

As MC said, get a cabalancer to balance them & a colortune to set the correct mixture.

They're both simple to use, will cost less than £100 & will save you money. :thumbsup:

Thanks John,

I was diagnosed colour blind, but I will have a go. Its actually rewarding when you sort a problem yourself, and as you say, the tools for the job ar'nt that prohibitive, and will have a value second hand on Ebay if I'm not up to it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Rick

You NEED a carb balancer, I picked one up on ebay for about £50, you will also need a timing gun, I have some instructions for balancing the carbs somewhere. One of my adjustment screws was missing an o ring and spring so the PO had just rammed it home. Once balanced, you can then set the mixture. I hear that it is better to run a little rich as the Lotus lump prefers this.

Check the accelerator cable is correctly adjusted I had about an inch of slack!, and I was 10 degrees out on timing. it now runs a lot lot better (not suprising!) I also replaced the dizzy cap, HT leads and plugs.

Cheers Chris.

Will let you know how I get on.

Rick,

You need to set the timing and idle first, you can then balance the carbs and then the mixture, its just doing things systmatically.

Sparky was the one who showed me the carb balancer, I had never seen one before.

Chris

Balancer on order and picking up colortune tomorrow.

Anyone close and want to borrow, be my guest.

Edited by makkyh