free hit
counters
help with wiring diagrams - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wardy

help with wiring diagrams

Hi Gents

I am trying to understand how the air distribution system works.

The mechanical operation looks straight forward but I am having difficulty with electrical drawings.

Can anyone tell me how to locate the "air distribution switch" and the mode flap solenoid valve in the electrical diagrams. Also where is the flap mode sol valve located

My car is my 2002

Thanks

Chris Ward

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

2002 year , so at least so called 'the grey pages' or even newer than that ..(workshop-book pages for the wirings are colored for specific periods..)

Fan speed/air condition is on section ML, sheet 7 for the V8 ..'98 on

Heater controls '98 on is on section ML, sheet 21 ..

with all colors and pins ..

so called 'water valve' and aircondition modules are on the front of the passenger footwell, inside the car (pull the carped away slightly) section ML, page 15 shows something.. section KE, page 10/11 also illustrates slightly how the heater matrix is supported with hot water from the engine, and as the diverter valve in the front of the fram is actuated by vacum it needs an electric valve to control the vacuum and therefore its function (that's why you have an electric 'water valve' box to control the position of the water regulation there in front of the car, as our knobs/controls in the dash are not longer cable actuated direct fits to the heater-matrix/temperature controls

Edited by Günter

Hi Gunter

Thanks for this info.

Just a couple more questions if you can help please.

Looking at section PJ, page No 7 and section ML sheet 21

Sheet 21 -- the solenoid at top R/H of the page, is this the "intake solenoid valve" on page No 7

Sheet 21 -- halfway down the sheet " distribution solenoid", Is the "mode flap solenoid" on page

Thanks Chris

short story on the long way, just to summ it all up what is there ..some hardware points as I see it from the car & manual:

..every V8 does have an mechanical valve (called diverter-valve), actuated by vacuum and a spring (section KE, page11)

..this controls the way the hot water is delivered or bypassed to the heater matrix. It needs to have an electromagnetic control-valve for the vacuum, as you have those electronic switches in the centre dash. On some early cars an 're-routing' if the intake/outlet pipes on the 'diverter-valve' and the related relays and wiring for the electromagnetic control was needed, details are in a service-bulletin, and section KE page12.

The 'diverter solenoid valve' (the vacuum control valve) for this heater bypassing is located on LH, top of enginebay side under the carped cover there (see page14 in section KE) -the small black vacumm hose runs as far as it looks therefore straight ahead to the front section of the frame, where the mechanical bypassing with the water pipes for the heater is located.

The 'water valve/solenoid control' box on the top of the passenger footwell seems to be there to have a central unit to control the functionality and logic of all the vacuum-valves for 'flap control solenoids', 'diverter solenoid' and 'recirculation valve solenoid'

on the *sheet21* in section ML, issue date 15-9-97 .. the thing called 'water valve potentiometer' seems to be the knob with the blue/red field aka the cold/hot temperature knob in the dash.

Sheet 21 -- the solenoid at top R/H of the page, is this the "intake solenoid valve" on page No 7
Think you are right, the 'recirculation switch' with his little lamp illumination seems to be the amber/orange recirculation switch on the lower line in the centre dash, next to the window lift switches.. so the small solenoid there in the wiring line must be the electromagnetic solenoid named 'recirculation valve solenoid' as in the prior pages, located in the footwell..

As there is an 'heater flap motor' ..something like a 'stepper motor' in the wiring this should also be there next to the heater box in the centre under the dash. A082P4462F is the partnumber, see the parts list/pictures in the PDF (this is how it should look like..and there also is the rod to the flap it controls)

*Item number 45* (as in the parts list picture A082M6666F ) located there on the passenger footwell, next to the *'water valve/solenoid control' box.. is the one that controls the fresh air intake flap that you can see in the front luggage compartement, and as such is also needet to have the cabin recirculation, to close the fresh air intake fully if the recirculation switch button (the orange/amber one there below the others..) is pressed.

Sheet 21 -- halfway down the sheet " distribution solenoid", Is the "mode flap solenoid" on page ..
again.. think this is right

The small 'distribution solenoid' shown there in sheet21, section ML ..on right hand there in the page could be the one with item number 18, part A082M6666F [as it is the same type as the other one, compared with the pictures page 7 from the footwell and the parts drawing..]

So all what needs to be identified and located is this strange 'water valve' part number A082P4461 F -Item 6 ..as it must be something electrical within the heater matrix case ..but I'm not sure what & where this is exactly

######################################################################################################

Again, those are all 'only guesses' ..as it needs to take a look and compare the actual wiring colors there to identify what is what.. as I haven't undone the heater section under the dash so far ..

Edited by Günter

Hi Gunter

Thank you very much for this detailed explanation.

I now know what I am looking at.

Chris

as a note: -based on the wiring and parts drawing and how I see it for now

the so called 'diverter valve' , mounted on the front of the chassis frame, is mainly there to control the re-flow/bypassing of water on the recirculation cycle of the engine cooling-water, if the engine was stopped after an ''spirited run'' aka hot-run with water temperatures above 110°C in the engine, and a need to let the engine cool down automatically without the own waterpump running. ..as there is a need to pump water in the line of the radiator in the front -to let it cool down by the 3x fans (water is pumped in those situations by this small electric pump in the lower LH-side under the enginebay.. ). So this 'diverter' can only do *on/off ..and something 'half way' if the vacuum supply is there*

..the more refined control how much hot water actually goes into the heatermatrix inside the cabin, if you drive the car and switch the heater to 'on' , this is by this pure electric valve A082P4461 F, this must be part of the heatermatrix case, as it looks from the parts book.

Ohhh, and mention in relation to my description

..not to confuse recirculation in relation to water reflow -with the term 'recirculation' as from the runaround of air inside the cabin.. . The workshopbook used the same phrase for both situations, therefore it is often used

Edited by Günter