free hit
counters
912 engine ultralight flywheel - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
giorgio67

912 engine ultralight flywheel

Hi all guys,

next month I will start to reassemble and rebuild my upgraded 912 engine and I'm interested to fit a lighter flywheel.

I have found two options as the Garry Kemp unit is out of my budget...so does anyone have some experience with these two units?

http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop/lotus-907-/-910-/-911-/-912/flywheel-and-clutch/steel-flywheel-ultralight-7%C2%BC-clutch

http://lotusbits.blogspot.it/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00Z&updated-max=2012-01-01T00:00:00Z&max-results=20

The QED unit seems very interesting for the price, any feedback?

Thanks

Giorgio

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but I'm sure you're aware that lightening a flywheel will alter the power delivery characteristics.

I've heard that reducing the f/w by 1kg is equivalent to 100kg off the chassis weight - although only in first gear. Acceleration benefits are lower in higher gears.

Given that, why not have your existing f/w lightened/balanced by a competent machinst - unless you're going for an out and out racer (cost circa £80 - 100).

Giorgio

Something to consider. Unless your car is for "track" use only I would shy away from a lighter flywheel. Yes, it will help in acceleration but it decelerates just as fast. What you will notice in street use is it being harder to maintain a cruising speed, which can be a bit annoying in my experience. The stock flywheel is pretty light as is. The other thing is it works as a vibration dampener. The 2.2 is a bit of a buzz motor and reducing the reciprocating mass will most likely make it more noticeable. Again, if its for racing, who cares........ but for street use?

Best,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, good advice thanks.

I was thinking at a lighter fly to reduce bearings and crankshaft stress not for acceleration improving so I will see, annyway thanks for your advices guys.

Ciao

Giorgio

Giorgio,

Meant to mention that by way of a compromise I had about 2kg taken off my existing f/wheel.

As such I'll gain a bit of acceleration in lower gears without losing too much f/wheel 'effect'.

For my 912hc/907 build, I'm using a steel '84 turbo flywheel. Inch larger clutch disk than the 907, plus weighs 12.2 pounds verses the stock cast 907 flywheel weighing in at 19.4 pounds.

Brian