free hit
counters
Dishwasher + hard water = rubbish - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Dishwasher + hard water = rubbish

Bibs

The water here is so hard you need a knife and fork to have a glass of it.

We've a built in Bosch dishwasher (the brand, not the nation) and it struggles to clean without leaving residue therefore is pretty useless. We've tried lots of brands of tablets, lots of rinse aids etc but the water is just too hard.

Is there a way we can up the salt dose, any recommended chemicals/tablets/rinse aids for hard water, any tricks anyone knows short of fitting a water softener?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full. Where we live the water is really, really hard. We're on the side of a hill made from chalk and our water comes from a natural spring 200 yds from our front door (via the water company of course!).

Here's a glass fresh from the dishwasher... Those aren't dishwasher scratches, it'll come up clean if done by hand.

post-1-0-59284900-1345629808.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Unsurprisingly, we have the same hard water issues here.

Not sure about Bosch machines but most dishwashers have an adjustment setting somewhere for the amount of salt used in a cycle based on the hardness of the water in the area.

Our dishwasher seems to be set up pretty well as most stuff comes out without any residue although we never put any glasses / glassware in it as they go 'milky' really quickly.

Steve

89 SE Pacific Blue

http://lexi.mantaur.co.uk

That's what I can't find, and the salt reservoir doesn't seem to be emptying that quickly.

Evora NA

I'm on their website looking for the manual. Doesn't help that the machine is built in so no serial/model number!

Evora NA

The water is so bad here that it destroys the wheels of our dishwasher and every three/four years need to spend £30+ replacing them!

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Found the serial number, it's laser etched in under a layer of chalk!

Phoned Bosch, they've emailed me the manual and here's the page, not exactly intuitive! :lol:

Fingers crossed and thanks for the inspiration!

post-1-0-41764900-1345631657.jpg

I've just adjusted it and it was set to 0! Barmy! I've upped it to 3, pic to follow :D

Evora NA

It's the Head Engineer coming out in you, a desire to fix stuff! I always knew you were destined for a higher office... :)

Evora NA

Back to square one: If it's that bad, why no water softener? Lots of other things (like shower heads, pipes, etc) must be suffering too. Better water to wash the car with!!!

I too live in a very chalky area with really hard water I bought a 'Liff Wrappa electronic water conditioner' you wrap the wires around the mains in pipe seems to work o.k. for us.

Milky layer on glasses is normally lack of salt or wrong hardness setting,you also might need to adjust rinse aid setting as well, although if using 3 - 4 in one tablets keep rinse aid settings low,as too much rinse aid will cause over sudding.

Also the same with salt although the tablet say they contain salt you STILL NEED TO PUT SALT IN,its NOT just a water softner it flashes out the resin unit,if you dont use it the unit cloggs up and you will get poor wash result. :shuriken:

Guest Mutley00

BIBS - The house across the road is for sale -if you moved here you wouldn't have the problem & you wouldn't have to bother with Track Days with the Peak District on your doorstep!

I use the 3 in one washer tabs from lidel ( tight I know!!) but get clean glass every time and never have to add salt to the machine. I would imagine we are getting the same water.

post-1261-0-88355200-1345972687.jpg

Edited by mdw

• 6 months later...

Our dishwasher is playing up again, the heater stopped heating. First result on a google search was a thread on Pistonheads and I've now found out it's subject to a recall, as are thousands of other Bosch, Siemen and Neff machines.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/appliance-industry-news/78-bosch/3138-bosch-dishwasher-recall-due-to-possible-fire-risk.html

I'll call an engineer to come fix it in the morning! Glad it didn't catch fire :huh:

Evora NA

I use the 3 in one washer tabs from lidel ( tight I know!!) but get clean glass every time and never have to add salt to the machine. I would imagine we are getting the same water.

They look the same as Morrisons own brand dead cheap and I've been using them for years with good results

It turns out that although ours was the right batch number, it's the wrong model number so wasn't affected. 

The repair was a £89 callout and £150 part so instead I've just had a new Smeg delivered and installed it, much better and only £50 more than a repair on a 10 year old machine. 

Evora NA

Mines just died. Must call them out.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Evora NA