free hit
counters
Fuel Gauge/Sender Query - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
madmax

Fuel Gauge/Sender Query

I have an unusual problem on my S2 Esprit - when the ignition is switched on, the fuel gauge reads one quarter full, whatever level of fuel is in the tank.

I filled the right hand tank yesterday with about £50 worth of fuel, added a little to the left hand tank too and the gauge resolutely stuck at one quarter full.

I understand there's a way of shorting the sender to check if the gauge works but I'm not altogether sure how to do this. I'm told that the sender is in the right hand tank - what's it like to change?

Thanks in anticipation

Simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The sender fits into the top of the RH tank, held in by several small bolts and a cork gasket for sealing. It incorporates a low fuel warning light, too. Getting at it means removing the trim on the RH side of the engine bay and possibly the plywood over the tank, can't be sure. Not too much of a problem to extract!

To test the gauge just connect the two wires to the sender together. Cannot remember if that is full or empty on the gauge, but having the wires disconnected gives the opposite do possible to test full and empty

Thanks guys

Due to the car being laid up for so long, the float arm had seized. Freed it off and gently exercised it and hey presto - working fuel gauge!!

Simple free fixes are always the best!!!