free hit
counters
Tesla owner asking Elise owners for brake pad advice - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
alan

Tesla owner asking Elise owners for brake pad advice

Hi,

My Tesla Roadster has the same brakes as the 2005 - 2008 Elise and I am after some advice on the best choice of pads.

The Roadster braking is not the best, mostly because the brakes dont get used very much. As soon as you lift off the loud pedal (or in my case quiet pedal) the electric motor goes into reverse acting as a generator to recharge the batteries. Probably 80% of the total braking is done by the motor not the brakes.

When you do need to use the brakes in a hurry there is quite a time before they really bite. This seems to be a combination of lack of heat and lack of use - certainly if you do at least one "emergency stop" in a journey the braking is better for the rest of the journey (and much better for the next few mins, hence the belief that braking hard is both cleaning the rotors/pads and warming them up as well).

Does anyone have experience of different types of brake pad? Obviously I am looking for something with better cold performance than the standard pads rather than race type pads that need warming up. Not to worried about additional wear on the rotors / discs as the brakes dont get used much.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Seeing as you want the opposite of what most people yearn for, your only option might be sourcing some cheap pattern pads. The friction material is usually very soft so you should get the results your after, but bear in mind they will wear out quickly, give you dirty wheels very quickly & if you start driving hard they will overheat and fade quickly. Not an ideal scenario

No idea about brake pads but I drove a Tesla once and the difference in stopping power was scary. I put it down to carrying a boot full of Duracells around... according to the online specs the Tesla weighs in a 1220kg as opposed to 860kg for a 2008 Elise. That's a lot of extra kgs to bring to halt.

Once the brakes are warm / clean they are OK. Not driven and Elise and Roadster back to back but the Roadster brakes are better than my Esprit S4s.

I guess 1220kg is a lot compared to an Elise but its still a lot lighter than an Evora, Boxter, Audi TT etc. There are rumours about some performance upgrades coming soon which will drop the 0 to 60 to below 3 seconds which may be based on a new, lighter battery pack using higher capacity cells.

Getting back on track - I was wondering about carbontech brake pads - one of the first two compounds here:

http://ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp#1