free hit
counters
INTAKE TRUNKING - Any answers? - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
madmax

INTAKE TRUNKING - Any answers?

The intake trunking (two pipes) feeding the engine bay cover on my 1980 Esprit S2 is baffling me and I can't find any reference to the correct set up in the manual.

I actually have two similar age cars and they're both running their pipes differently so I don't know which is correct.

Does anyone have a definitive answer for where the trunking should come from and go to on the offside(drivers side) of the car?

I would have thought that the offside 'ear' would have fed directly to the airbox but it may need to pick up ambient air from the grille in the loadspace rather than be force-fed fron the intake.

As always, your help is appreciated - thank you

Simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Simon,

It should be connected to the grille, not the ear. The other pipe which feeds into the engine cover should be connected to the ear so that cool air is fed in to the engine bay aid cooling.

Pete

Thanks Pete - sorted!

The logic behind this suggests that the trunking going into the air box pulls air across the rear window from the N/S ear and so aids de-misting while the trunking from the O/S ear goes straight into the engine compartment to aid cooling.

what is the internal diameter of the trunking?

Im looking to replace mine

found it...3 1/2 inches or 89 mm

I think there are two different sizes going through the engine cover on the S2.

Edited by Freemason