free hit
counters
OEM sunroof replaced with solid roof - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

OEM sunroof replaced with solid roof

Hi guys,

I am mid process of replacing the sunroof on my car with a solid roof. I have bonded the new roof in place with minimal cutting on the sunroof cantrails, header etc so now I have a solid roof model on the outside and a sunroof model on the inside.

In order to complete the job I would like to know what the solid roof model looks like inside with the trim removed. Does anyone have pictures of this? I think I have a rough idea but confirmation would be nice before I remove stuff I shouldn't.

Also any thoughts on my other idea would be welcomed. After I have glassed it all in I am thinking of glassing in foam moulds to replicate the extra stiffness that the rubber seal flange has and using the appropriate trim pieces from the sunroof to cover (I am assuming that there is no stiffness around the perimeter of the roof anyway)

Cheers

Nic.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why glass it in? Why not have just left it closed all the time?

Hell of a job to revert if you ever change your mind.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Fair enough. I was just thinking about originality if you ever go to sell. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

@ Ramjet, yeh I appreciate your sentiments but the car is an 86 LC NA car with a new chassis (I think-there is no chassis no) virtually no history and a hacked up interior. The engine was barely running and the gearbox is knackered. It was a fairly unloved car. Its originality value is long gone so I may as well have the car the way I want it.

@ DreiStone, that would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

Brilliant, thanks PP for the link to the photo. That put my mind at ease.

Here are the photos of the job so far. The first pics are the new roof offered up to the lightly cut away sunroof channels. Then bonded into place. The body rotated on a frame. The sunroof channels then cut away and finally new strips of fibre glass put in place. Next job will be to add some stiffness but moulding in some kevlar channels (only for piece of mind) Lastly I will smooth out the outer joins and add more strips of glass fibre to finish the job. I need to take a couple of weeks break now for family commitment and will post in due time.

Thanks again

Nic

post-12761-0-91202700-1346263773.jpgpost-12761-0-17555200-1346263775.jpgpost-12761-0-74451900-1346263776.jpgpost-12761-0-12262600-1346263778.jpgpost-12761-0-48195600-1346263779.jpgpost-12761-0-80361900-1346263780.jpg

I will let you know how the coil overs work out, although I am easily a year away from that minimum!! :)