free hit
counters
Headlining Paterns - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
EliteMike

Headlining Paterns

Having now completely refitted my headlining and side trim pieces in my 1978 Elite, and how nice it looks, even if i say so myself, much better than fiberglass and no fitted trim pieces to the sides.

I have the old bits of headlining and side trims material, plus surround material for rear window trim, if any one wants them to use as paterns to cut the pieces out when they do their headlining retrim, saves wasting too much.

Also should some one need all the fiberglass trim pieces i think i have a full set available as well, needless to say they require retriming.

I purchased my headling from Wollies, like most people, but bought some high temperature spray glue from AS Trim, www.as-trim.co.uk so much easier than having to use a brush to apply, and very forgiving too, bought three cans but 2 would do, with some left over, have to say i gave it three coats in opposite directions, having practices on the trim pieces.

Regards

Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So post up some pics Mike. :) Always good to see the results of someone's endeavours.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Hi, good stuff, I'm looking at the headlining on mine - which headlining did you go for? Did you use a separate scrim foam? Did you spray the headlining before fixing or spray the roof of the car? If you sprayed the roof of the car did you mask up the windows etc? Any tips appreciated! Cheers, Mat.

Edited by mat grant

Hi Mat

I used the basic nylon headlining that comes complete with the foam and scrim backing,

I only put glue on the fiberglass and not the material itself, and it has stuck perfectly, did a test run with offcut and that stuck fine only glueing base.

I started with the side trim panels, which when I was doing them, gave them 3 coats of glue immidiatly, and then placed the cut out material straight on top and pulled it into shape, it seemes to be very forgiving, as if you get it a little out of shape you can pull it off and reposition and it still sticks perfectly.

This gave me the confidence to start on the roof headlining itself, again three coats of glue, did not need to mask windows as quite narrow spray and you dont have to bring material to window edge as that is covered by the trim pieces, but covered seats and dash board and all other bits that thought may get glue on if i got things wrong.

I cut the 2 pieces for the headlining a little larger than required to give me enough material should I have postioned it slightly incorrectly that could still get away with it, I used a new small paint roller to smooth it out, and my son helped hold material at one end initialy so could get first piece positioned properly, trimmed the excess material away, waited for it all to dry and then fitted the side trim pieces which clip in.

Now working on the sunvisors, having stripped them down, rubbed metal frame down and sprayed that, bought some card same thickness as what was originaly there, which in mine was all bent and buckled, sewed all pieces material together ready to re make them up, but before stuck it found that one piece of card is not enough, you need a piece either side of the frame to stop frame showing through material and give it a better thickness, have to say I have used headlining material on both sides and not the black leathercloth that was on one side of mine, as didnt think my wifes sewing machine would cope with that.

Regards

Mike

Edited by EliteMike

Hi, Thanks for posting that, I've not done this before so that's great info.

I'm still deciding whether to go for the original look, or a black perforated vinyl headlining, which I think will look good. I've only seen one eclat with a black headlining and I assumed it was not original, but it looked good. My car is not exactly original anyway so originality is not that important to me on my car. The black vinyl one doesnt have foam backing so you have to buy that separate and stick it into the car first.

I've also got to do the sun visors - I took one apart to see how it was constructed. Mine has a (rusty) wire frame and a board inside, which on mine is warped and distorted. There is also a piece of foam across part of it - which needless to say on mine has disintegrated. I've yet to decide what material to use to replace the board. Maybe plastic similar to the trim panels(?)

Cheers, Mat.

Cheers, Mat.

Just a mention about spraying in confined spaces, I got a real buzz doing mine some years ago.

Any pictures yet Mike/Mat?

I would like to follow the same route as you, i.e. a perforated vinyl or leather headlining (as the standard type foam backed headliner cloth doesn't seem to last long in Lotii for some reason, e.g. my Eclat has been done at least twice)

However the Elite & Excel I have seen so far which have had the vinyl/leather glued directly to the fibreglass look hard and unnatural. Llike you say it needs a bit of foam in there first for the "padded" look, but what foam to use? It has to be better than the scrim foam used on the standard cloth if it isn't going to turn to brown powder within a few years, but has to be thin and tough enough for the vinyl/leather to effectively hang from.

The sunroof headlining on my Riviera was stitched together like a pillow with the foam padding inside, do you think that could be an answer? It was the one element on the Elite that hadn't peeled off (though the foam inside was still toast crumbs!)

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Just a mention about spraying in confined spaces, I got a real buzz doing mine some years ago.

I brushed the adhesive on for my first one, I'd done the cant rails etc and started on the main sections when it started raining so I closed the doors. I nearly passed out and had to really concentrate on what I needed to do (open door) else I doubt I'd have got out after that stupid mistake.

Has anyone fitted any for of sound deadening to the roof panels? All my headlining is stripped and I'm toying with dynamat or the cheaper similar stuff, or maybe some thicker closed cell foam?

Any thoughts?

Regards

Steve

Whats holding me back is the thought that due to the weight of it it may come unstuck in a year or so on a hot day.

Guest saraphee

It doesn't come much hotter/sunnier than where I am. I sed the standard headlining material as supplied by SJ Sportscars and hi temperature spray glue sourced locally. I also bought in from the USA some closed cell foam in a double aluminium skin 4 mm "sandwich" which was designed for engine bays with, I think, a 5 year guarantee and stuck that on first with the same glue.

It's been in place now for 2-3 years and looks as good as new.

It also helps in a small way to keep the cabin cool, I rarely have the AC above the second notch.

Hi Rex,

Ok don't rub it in.... I'm in Belfast this week, cold and rainy. :thumbdown:

But anyway, that's a good idea, have you got the name for this product or a link? The problem seems to be the foam disintegrates, so even if the glue is perfect, only the very top of the foam stays glued and the rest is crumbly dust that falls out of the headlining. A more solid foam with aluminium sides might work better.

Did your headlining have foam on it or was it just cloth?

Thanks, Mat.

Guest saraphee

Hi Mat,

Llet's start this from the point when I began my memory improvement course, the Tutor gave me two years to get up to Sieve level and I'm still working towards this target 8 years later!

It's a couple of years since I bought stuff in so you'll understand my vagueness!

The headling from SJS has a thin foam backing, however it's less likely to crumble as it's protected by the aluminium/foam sandwich and seems intact - just been outside to check!

The sandwich came from my usual source - let eBay be your friend! I just searched for auto insulation until I came up with a supplier who had a closed foam double aluminium roll and bought about 10 metres as I did not only the roof but most of the interior as it claimed to be sound proofing as well. It's great as an insulator but isn't very good as a soundproofer so next week we're ripping the interior out again and installing a heavier and superior sound proofeing product.

Of course if you want the ultimate in heat proofing for your roof you could always use Ziroflex -

http://www.zircotec.com/page/heatshield_products/97

I have it in the engine bay to keep heat back from the firewall, works wonders in keeping my feet cool!.

Hi Mike,

Back to the original question. I'd be very keen to use your old headlining etc. to use as a template for replacing mine. My Elite came completely gutted so anything would help. The same goes for carpet templates too if any of you gents have anything suitable...

Many thanks, Dan

Regular restorer. Rather less reliable forum poster!

Dan, I have a new set of carpets that I am selling on Ebay, if you already have the carpet material you are welcome to take templates from them before they sell.

Also have your starter motor just in case you have forgotten.

David