free hit
counters
ERG / Oxygen Sensor - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
77 esprit

ERG / Oxygen Sensor

Hi Folks,

I'm posting on behalf of a fellow LOONY member and V8 owner. The car in question is a 2003.

Several weeks ago, the check engine light came on. The code read "Minor Evap Problem". A local service dept cleared the code. The car has been driven over 300 miles since. When presented for NYS inspection, the car failed do to the OBD2 readout being "EGR and Oxygen Sensor Monitors not set". The original code has not returned. Neither has the "Check Engine" light. Does anyone have a suggestion to assist my friend? Wants to drive his V8 to LOG.

Lyn

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Faulty egr valve maybe, I'm ordering a blanker plate for mine and a cheater to fool the ecu. Total cost £17! Is it hard to start and run until its warmed up?

Olly,

Received the following e-mail from my friend:

"Car starts and runs fine. Seems to be just a computer reset issue. Dealer said it might be a voltage problem at the ECU fuse B2 that, if low, will cause the computer to reset every time the engine is started"

Wish I knew more about his car. His dealer is neary seven hours away. Have enough problems just getting and keeping my S1 running without computers!

Lyn

PN send..

Hi Guys,

E-mailed your suggestions to my friend. He's taking his V8 to a local repair shop to have the codes downloaded as you suggested. The shop does a great deal of modern exotic car service in our area. I'll keep you informed. Also suggested he join this group. Don't mind passing the information along. Just easier for him to join! Thanks again for your assistance.

Lyn

so you have read the workshopbook now ?

(as PN was sent to you)

I believe your friend, needs to drive the car so the EGR & O2 self tests can run and if sucessful the ECU will set the "readiness" tests as complete. Lotus originally had a problem getting these tests to run as the conditions for them to begin were to stringent. A ECU update is available from Lotus USA. The O2 test requires a light throttle on a slight upgrade at 35 MPH in 5th gear (almost lugging the engine) for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. EGR, light load nuetral throttle level ground 5th gear speed not critical. But without the ECU re-flash they are difficult to make set.

Gunter and Wayne,

Passed the information on to my friend Joe this morning. Haven't heard from him yet. Thanks for the assistance!

Lyn

I too have an issue with the O2 reading not-complete from an OBD-II scan on my 2003 Esprit. I'm wanting to register the car here in California so I need to get the ECU to a ready state for all tests.

5th gear at 35 mph for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes is not something I'd ordinarily do so I'll try that and report back. I have a letter from Lotus in the service history that says this VIN has no outstanding recalls or updates so I'm hoping the ECU re-flash either wasn't needed or has already been done.

Edited by billstr

It was never a recall based problem.  Call Dave Simkin at Lotus USA, this is a well known fix.  If you don't have the high torque re-flash installed might as well do it also.  Best bang for $400.00

As it turns out, O2 Complete isn't required to pass California emissions. The tech said you are allowed to have one incomplete cycle/state so I passed my smog check with O2 Incomplete.

In California, it depends on which county the car is registered as to how many flags are required to be set, it doesn't matter which ones are not set. Youy must be is a low smog county.

I didn't realize the test varied by county but I'm in Santa Clara county.