free hit
counters
Exige S Roadster - Page 7 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Exige S Roadster

That looked excellent. Hope top gear get to test it round the track and see what time it posts.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think thats a [email protected] review! Sounds like the chap was bored at work...and I told him!   Buddsy

yep, when I read this kind a review, I don't recognise at all how thrilling it is to drive an Elise, let alone an Exige roadster. I feel they are either blasé as they drive great cars on a daily basis

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/gallery/album/320-exige-s-roadster/

Posted Images

Coupe is 1:32.5 and the roadster is 1:34.1

The difference is the complex after the pits where you can carry more speed and windsock, due to the aero. 

So that was comparing like with like with the only difference being the aero i.e. both cars fitted with the race pack and same suspension settings and both cars on the same tyres? I can see the aero possibly having some benefit at Windsock since it's a very fast corner leading onto a long straight but the complex after the pits?

Anyway, it looks great on the move. Looking forward to mine turning up in September (so they tell me)

Edited by kbhughes_3

Maybe they said it was the first corner (ie Clark) that it helps with, that's got to be close to 80mph you take it at.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Maybe they said it was the first corner (ie Clark) that it helps with, that's got to be close to 80mph you take it at.

I wonder just how much downforce that rear wing is generating at 80mph. It's really a styling exercise after all. I'm sure it makes some difference of course but 1.6 secs over a lap seems optimistic. Unless the cars were on the same tyres it's a pointless comparison.  

I was told by Lotus that the Exige V6 was drawn by Donato as a Roadster from the outset and the wing and splitter were added later. It certainly looks better to my eyes in Roadster guise.   I do wonder if it would have been better for Lotus to have launched the car as a Roadster with the various packs including an aero pack  to turn it into the Coupe allowing you to build the car as you want it (they want to charge me an extra £500 because I've specced black wheels and red calipers lol) .  I understand why they didn't of course as the Exige is bewinged and splittered historically so it might have been a harder sell.   

The Roadster is stunning, aesthetically and dynamically. I've asked for the finance figures myself in case I can afford one! :D

I will double check but I'm pretty sure the cars were on the same tyres and neither had the race pack fitted. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The Roadster is stunning, aesthetically and dynamically. I've asked for the finance figures myself in case I can afford one! :D

I will double check but I'm pretty sure the cars were on the same tyres and neither had the race pack fitted. 

Sell everything!

Sorry to be a pain about this but that makes less sense. Lotus claim the Coupe is 5 secs a lap quicker than a 260 Cup and it manages this on the softer suspension settings and road tyres? And in any event why wang your new motor around your test track and not have it in its optimum settings of race pack and Trofeo tyres? On that setup it would be nearer 7 secs quicker than a 260 Cup assuming the Trofeo tyres are worth say 1.5 secs over road tyres and the harder suspension settings worth a little bit of time too. None of that adds up. Unless I'm conflating a bunch of stuff and coming to the wrong conclusion. This all supposes there is a  bit more 'science' around the Hethel track times than there is with Top Gear's lap times.

Getting a little tired of seeing the same corner with the tester showing how well he can drift a car for his oiwn enjoyment. This driving only seems to exist on filmed track tests and then off camera I bet they are all trying to keep it tidy and quick. About time we saw some shootout videos on proper tracks.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

I thought the tyres were different to account for the 1.6 secs. In theory the Roadster is a tiny bit lighter and a tiny bit more slippery so should be much closer to the coupe than that over a relatively short lap. Regardless, laptimes should never be taken too seriously.

The claims for the aero on the V6 are the same for the S2, from memory that was supposed to be around 40kgs of downforce at 100mph.

I thought the Roadster was slightly slower as it was set up for the road (I assumed that would be tyres and spring/dampers) and the more track focus coupe was sat up for the track accordingly?

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

If you spec the race pack you get the stiffer suspension and slightly different geo to suit the trofeo tyres but the tyres are still an optional extra so you can spec the cars to be the same, aero aside, although the roadster will still have the stiffer rear ARB which I would have thought helps on track. In the real World, on the same tyres, there will be little between them.

• The comparison was made with a coupe on Trofeos in ‘Race’ mode and a Roadster in ‘Sports’ mode on Corsas.
  • The aero will be of most benefit on the Senna Curves and in Clark and Hill corners as these are all higher lateral G corners.        

Since the coupe was in 'Race' and this is only available with the Race Pack we know that's fitted, plus the Trofeo's and enhanced geo to suit. We already know the 'Race' mode is worth a couple of car lengths (perhaps 0.5 secs) with it's 'µ' detection, and the tyres/geo are going to make a decent difference too. I think a 'like for like' comparison would see the cars pretty much within tenths of a second looking at that information.

The reality is however that the 2 variants are aimed at different people with different uses for the car. If this stuff, tenths of a second a lap, matter to you you'll be buying a coupe or the sensible option for you of a Cup. If you don't care, want a more compliant, usable car that's pretty much just as quick 99.999% of the time you'll buy the Roadster. Horses for courses and all that. 

Evora NA

Since the coupe was in 'Race' and this is only available with the Race Pack we know that's fitted, plus the Trofeo's and enhanced geo to suit. We already know the 'Race' mode is worth a couple of car lengths (perhaps 0.5 secs) with it's 'µ' detection, and the tyres/geo are going to make a decent difference too. I think a 'like for like' comparison would see the cars pretty much within tenths of a second looking at that information.

The reality is however that the 2 variants are aimed at different people with different uses for the car. If this stuff, tenths of a second a lap, matter to you you'll be buying a coupe or the sensible option for you of a Cup. If you don't care, want a more compliant, usable car that's pretty much just as quick 99.999% of the time you'll buy the Roadster. Horses for courses and all that. 

As I thought then. So the faster car of the two is the lighter more slippy roadster. ;)

And Lotus really ought to try and not second guess their customers. Look how wrong they got the S1 at launch - a toy for the wealthy that might buy a boat or a plane rather than the IT nerds of the World. I've ordered my Roadster with Race pack and no aircon and want the Coupe's Sport Premium interior, black wheels, and red calipers i.e. exactly the spec 'I want' but nothing like the spec you can order. Lotus don't expect to sell many of them either so allow folk to order they car how they want it.

So wrong yet so right!

But why's the roof on?!

Edited by The Pits