free hit
counters
Anyone retro'd the appearance of a Stephens Esprit? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
smash

Anyone retro'd the appearance of a Stephens Esprit?

OK I should say up front that this may offend both G AND S Esprit fans, lol!

What I'm asking is has anyone stuck s3 style cross spokes ona Stephen's and perhaps even the iconic S3 Turbo logos and striping? I can see look-a-like wheels are available in the form of Lenso BSXs - just curious what it would look like.

I've seen black Stephens dressed in JPS livery so it should be no less offensive to S3 officiendos.

Why am I interested? Well a couple of years ago I started looking for an S3 but was reminded just how old and fragile they are now. I ended up buying a 916GT replica in the end but now still have a hankering for an Esprit. I still want an S3 but figure an SE might be a better bet so was wondering whether it was possible to dress it in a way to evoke a bit of the spirit of the older model...

OK - start sharpening the knives! :lol:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In terms of chassis and suspension etc, the '85 MY G body will be pretty much the same as an SE, although as years went by the chassis got a little more stiffening.

The gearbox in the G body will be the Citroen rather than Renault, both can handle the power the cars pushed out but Lotus moved from one to the other for a combination of reasons but it included improved power handling.

So, if it's definitely SE then you will get more power and a transaxle more capable (off the shelf) of handling it. If it was not the SE and just the turbo car then that should be pretty much the same as the later G cars. That all goes out of the window if you get hold of a car like mine, SE underneath and G body.

Styling wise, I'd suggest playing with Photoshop to check out how it looks, it may look OK, it may look odd but you'd want to know that before undertaking the large amount of work involved (the wheels have lots of differences so will not just bolt on).

Andy

The Lenso wheels are BBS lookalikees so off the shelf. I must admit - and I dont know why - I just thought the SE was a bit more advanced rather than just renault box and fuel injection. Kind of thought it was a "safer" bet but I much prefer the G and if there isnt really any benefit to going later SE (apart from cost) I should carry on looking at Gs

SE is still non-powered steering using the same rack, the same Toyota brakes at the front. Rear brakes are different as they went outboard when it went to Renault transaxle (initially using the same callipers as the inboard ones but then changing those as well). Along with the Renault transaxle came cables to control the gears, which when the bushes wear become a pain to find a gear but can be refurbished at relatively low cost.

I'll not list the changes/ constants but suffice to say the change-overs are more gradual than simply a single model change. Just like the first turbo Stevens, they used the HC engine which was put in the last run of the G cars. That's what happens when a relatively low volume car manufacturer needs to change over parts, it's planned in line with stock levels and future stock availability.

Why not just buy a really decent S3? Will probably not cost you anymore than retro fitting a Stevens and it sounds like the look will be more like what you want.

It will also be easy to sell on if the Esprit is not for you?

JMTPW!

OK, firstly I have now learned how to spell Stevens! Apologies

Andy - I decided to try your idea and photoshop - blimey it's difficult collecting all the bits of images needed.

I didn't run the stripe full length because there are no natural terminators - the S3 has the bumpers to stop the stripe and it looked weird just running full length.

The one thing I have taken a liberty with is ride height - I have lowered the car because that's one of the things that sticks in my mind when I think of an S3 Turbo, it's low.

I think it works pretty well but may look better without the SE spoiler

post-10807-0-03348900-1346087599.jpg

Edited by smash

It's the wedge over the decals that makes the 'G' Esprit - I like angles over curves!

Has anyone tried fitting the Stevens interior into a 'G' Esprit ? That's the let down on the S3 imho.

Actually technically this is what it would look like with the Lenso BSX wheels available size 16 & 17 (about £600 a set)

And below at stock ride height

post-10807-0-43478800-1346091728.jpg

post-10807-0-40948000-1346091909.jpg

Edited by smash

yeah i think it looks pretty good, but maybe loose the rear spoiler altogether, or possibly try an early v8 spoiler

spoiler deleted - stock height and lowered

The original - apologies to Alireza for messing with his pride and joy

post-10807-0-36810600-1346178742.jpg

post-10807-0-18190400-1346178752.jpg

post-10807-0-04871300-1346181602.jpg

Im inclined to agree it doesnt look out of place either...I think colour choice of the car would determin its success..dark with the gold detailing works well..but I suspect other colours typical of a g turbo ie white with red detailing, would look odd. The reason I say this is that the wheels on the image above tie in the decals, and on other coloured cars gold wheels would look odd and the decals wouldnt match....

Hi.

I have seen these Lenso's before and they look good. But I dont think they will have the right ET ( offset) for an Esprit..

Geert

I just saw them listed on ebay as Esprit fitment but I think you're right - ET is 25 for Lensos. Nearly bang on for fronts but 5mm out for rear.

dodge1979 - I suspect that this makes you right!

post-10807-0-00935900-1346264628.jpg

Buying this might save you all the hassle as it has a G body on S4 mechanicals

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/4150869.htm

Not sure it works in white as well as your black Stevens car mock up does but it does provide the earlier look with the later cars more reliable drivetrain................perhaps?

Yes, I saw that listed - makes total sense and yet there's something about it that doesn't do it for me, I don't know why - probably those humungous (comparitively) wheels.

Although I want a G Esprit - since I did the black mock up I'm now really liking the idea of a black SE with the G decals and Dare DR RS or Lenso wheels. I can get the graphics made up for about £50 and a set of Dare DR RS weigh in at around £400. Pretty sure I can come in £2k under that S3/S4 if I look hard enough. The S3/S4 needs paint from what seller says.

Sorry can't edit post - seller doesn't say it needs paint - just indicated a couple of lacquer lifts. The problem with that one is I need to draw a budgetary line somewhere and that falls outside it :(

Still, I have a plan...

BTW Dare DR RS I have discovered are ony available in 18" at 5x108pcd - I've contacted Lenso to see what they offer for that pcd.

So the final word on Lenso BSX's (for those still awake!)

The following is best available fit for Stephens

15x7j ET+23.3 5x108pcd

16x9j ET+20 (so will need 10mm spacer) 5x108pcd

Unfortunately gold is an issue as the 16" is not available in gold so the set above can only be supplied in silver or black.

£560 delivered - I week supply time

I've just started thinking about what to do for the blue Turbo Esprit and decided I want wheels on it that are more in keeping with it's body's age. It currently has Gt3 / S4 wheels as it has a Stevens subframe & running gear. And after a lot of searching I decided it's Lenso BSX, but 17 inch (I keep the old tyre sizes on the GT3 wheels and the big brakes still fit) with 7 1/2 front and 8 1/2 rear with 5x 108 Et20

Price £464 + £25 delivery.