free hit
counters
Pistachio lime green Elite? - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Pistachio lime green Elite?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 1 month later...

Y'know, I think you could make a case for "past" as the past tense of "pass" in the same way "learnt" is the past tense of "learn," right?

O.K., maybe not.

Anyway, I really dig that color! There seemed to be a period in the early '70s when there were no 'taboos' on colors. It had to be a thrill when you first saw the reflections in your new paint job. If you thumped your chest like Tarzan, it's totally warranted!

Edited by bwwooster

It certainly gets looks and comments now i am driving it around!

Some love it and others cant stand the sight of it...he,he,he....certainly stirs it up in the classic Lotus circles!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought i would update on progress now i have put a few hundred miles on the clock.

Firstly it leaks like a sieve when it rains and fills the footwells with water, i have to adjust the door frames to seal against the rubbers, but i think it must be coming in somewhere else as well!

The alternator failed but i had a new one in the garage, then the alernator belt started to fall apart, not a simple job as it goes behind the power steering belt.

I have fitted an alloy plate under the rear two bonnet vents to stop rain water just running down the front of the engine.

I have found the power steering to be much too light and sensitive, great for around town but very wearing on the motorway. Something to sort in the future i think.

The handling is fab but it feels a bit rubbery at the front (still on rubber arb bushes at the mo), so will probably up rate the bushes.

A new geared starter is on order to help with the cold morning start, it always starts but really drains the battery quickly.

To top it all i now have a nice mushy emulsion in the the oil, so will need to do the head gasket soon (if anyone has one sat on the shelf going spare ill have it!), it still runs lovely and smoothly though.

All in all i think running a Lotus everyday that hasnt been on the road for 20 years has had its ups and downs but i wouldnt miss it for the world ! :)

Edited by pbharcourt

Paul you are a brave soul! The water leaks - if you haven't re-sealed the rear side windows and windscreen they will odds on be leaky, the patented stuff Lotus used in the 70s will be rock hard now.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Hi Paul, have you checked the fresh air intake plenum isn't filling with water? There is a drain hose which is only accessible from below that easily blocks up - blast it through with some air to clear it and remove all the debris in the plenum. When it fills up, water enters the car through the heater.

ATB Richard

Mark, i did remove and re-bond the windows but it was my first attempt so could be!

Richard, i will have a look at the plenum chamber because i did remove the heater box and maybe i didnt get a good seal on it.

I think i will have to remove all the interior trim and play a hose pipe over it to see where its coming in, there are so many holes and fixings in the shell i'm surprised they were waterproof from new!

I forgot to mention the very heavy clutch pedal but i have a new Bedford CF cable that looks like it will fit with some modification (another job!)

there are so many holes and fixings in the shell i'm surprised they were waterproof from new!

I don't think they ever were watertight, which is possibly one of the many reasons why they were "given up on" by early owners

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Richard, i will have a look at the plenum chamber because i did remove the heater box and maybe i didnt get a good seal on it.

The problem isn't the seals you describe - when the drain hole is blocked, the water just flows in through the air intake trumpets and out through the heater vents. The plenum chamber drain hole is hidden beneath one of the intake trumpets.

Good luck, Richard

• 1 year later...

Took the old girl for a run to Southsea yesterday.

All went well until the last couple of miles when the clutch cable snapped..managed to limp home though.

The joy of Lotus ownership :cry:

IMAG1090.jpg

• Like 1

You got a lovely snap though so it's all good :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.