free hit
counters
Wolf Zimmermann - Is he still at Lotus? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Wolf Zimmermann - Is he still at Lotus?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If he goes, the V8 goes. Perhaps they are retaining him until a final decision is made on whether to soldier on with the new V8's development. And, as that engine is targeted for the New Esprit, the timeline for the chassis itself (which at this point seems to be in flux due to financial constraints) will determine the viability of further powerplant progression. By most accounts he brings with him the necessary talent to design and build the engine---it already exists at some undefined level of advancement---and to show him the door at this point would ensure a "square one" Esprit program IMO. It would be nice to hear just what he's up to at the moment.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

As has been said before, Esprit engine 'mules' have been on the road for over a year. Speaking with Donato Coco at Goodwood he indicated that apart from the design changes (from the concept) the engine is providing much more power and flexibility than originally envisaged and development has progressed very well. It would be a crying shame if this was ditched as well as financial stupidity given the money sunk into the programme already. And besides, DRB have already said that Esprit development continues apace. albeit delayed.

As for the design changes these seem to be, in Donato's words "lower, wider, more aggressive" and with a stronger visual link to the previous Esprit. He said that as an existing Esprit owner I would be very pleased with the result. That's very subjective of course but I live in hope (I am the eternal optimist of course)

Mark, your post providing Donato's comments at Goodwood have given me hope. Lotus may be keeping their cards close to the vest, but it appears that they still have a few aces up their sleeves. :)

^^^ sounds perfect indeed. Now I'd just like to see some new leaked pics of the thing at the Nurburgring or in the artic circle!

Don't know if these have been posted before but found these a couple of weeks back.

photo-1849.jpg

photo-322.jpg

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

They first appeared in Autocar back in May - I posted it back then along with the article. This appeared after all the dust had settled and production had re-started. As I said, I live in hope.

As I said at the time, it obviously has a drogue chute at the back so it must be quick!

And if you missed it, Lotus also made the announcement on their own Facebook page around the same time =

https://www.facebook...135849009792886

IMAG0017.jpg

Edited by hedgerley

I sure hope it's a mule, Angus. It doesn't strike me (from these rather grainy pics, anyway) as being very "Esprit-like" in appearance. Not "wedgy" enough me thinks. Still, if the pics and accompanying article are in fact an indication that development (of the engine at least) continues, then carry on I say. :cheers:

Guest surferphil

If it is a disguised Esprit; then it isn't a 'mule' it's a test car. The wheel base looks way too short, proportions are all wrong so I hope this isn't anything like the new Esprit.

If it's a mule it would probably be a lotus already in production, just slightly modified to fit what ever it was testing. It looks like an Exige mule to me, hopefully carrying the V8 but may just be the Exige V6 test car disguised and nothing to do with the Esprit.

If I were a gamblin' man, I'd put my money on Exige V6 test car.

Crude, but it's not a 458...

post-1-0-38163400-1346925913.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

^ That's the Exige test car and different to the pic Mark posted.

*Interestingly enough shot from exactly the same spot though! I wonder how accidental these pics really are!!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Guest surferphil

Look at the shapes, the one Mark posted is disguised to hide the new Exige Styling.

It's often deliberate, that's what marketing refer to as a leaked photo, helps gain momentum for a product launch and interest in the brand. Range Rover drove a fleet of 'disguised' Evoques around the world as a publicity stunt. I just drove one down the test track.

post-4219-0-71344700-1346931812.jpg

Edited by surferphil

*Interestingly enough shot from exactly the same spot though!

I like my burrow just where it is, bangers-breath.

896136739_3f17f064ee_o.jpg

The Esprit has changed and awful lot from that mule, allegedly...!

Evora NA